NEWS BRIEFS

Field hockey comes to UM

There’s a new club on campus! Join the Field Hockey Club and help promote awareness, good sportsmanship, and teamwork. The objectives of the Field Hockey Club are to educate students about the sport and history of field hockey, develop skills and maintain physical fitness through its practices and friendly competition. Practices are every Tuesday and Friday, from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Yaron Athletic Fields. Practices and scrimmages are open to all levels. For more information, contact Kristen Goodrich at 305-689-4199.

Fun Day needs buddies

Fun Day is a day for UM students to volunteer with a special citizen from the Miami area. Activities include mystery theatre, arts and crafts, music therapy, a barbecue and events on the commencement field. It was created by Dr. Foote over 20 years ago and is a long-standing UM tradition. This year’s Fun Day starts Saturday, Feb. 21 at 9 a.m. Buddy sign-ups take place in the breezeway from Jan. 22- Feb. 17. For more information, contact the Volunteer Services Center, located in UC 240, at 305-284-4483.

Volunteers wanted for UM’s Spring Career Expo 2004

Spring Career Expo 2004 will be held at the Wellness Center on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 11 a.m.- 4 p.m. Information can be found on the Career Expo website. Be one of the first to network with employers by volunteering at Expo! We help with a variety of tasks between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. If you’re interested, please email us with your availability at careerexpo@miami.edu. If you have not updated your resume or uploaded it onto CaneTRAK you should do it now. Stop by the Toppel Career Center, Monday – Thursday, 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. to have it critiqued. No appointment is necessary!
Meet your SG candidates

Meet the candidates and Referenda Sponsors of this year’s Student Government Elections on the UC Patio on Feb. 19 from 11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m. The vice-presidential debate is on Feb. 17 at the Rat at 7 p.m., and the presidential debate will be held on Feb. 18 at the Rat at 7 p.m.

Board members sought for Hispanic Heritage Month
Interested in being involved with the Hispanic heritage Month 2004? Advisor Ms. Nanette Vega, Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Affairs [MSA], is currently accepting applications for the executive board. For more information, please contact MSA at 305-284-2855 or at nvega@miami.edu. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to learn more about the Hispanic culture.

The Ibis is still looking for candidates for “Senior Spotlight”, features on outstanding seniors in the 2004 yearbook. In order to nominate or apply, pass by the Ibis office, UC 229, and pick up a form. To apply, you must be a full time UM student with a GPA of 2.5. Forms are due in the office by Feb. 13.

Start getting your team together for another exciting round of intramural sports. Entries are now being accepted at the Wellness Center for basketball, arena football, flag football, and kickball. If you don’t have a team, then sign up on the free agent roster. To find out more about the intramural program, call Jason Carroll at 305-284-8518.

Registration is now taking place for the spring semester instructional classes at the Wellness Center. These classes are open to members and non-members so tell your friends, family, and fellow students! Instruction varies from dance classes to martial arts. You must register in person. For more information, call the Wellness Center at 305-284-5433.

In response to requests from students and faculty, the Richter Library will stay open until 10 p.m. on Saturdays during the Spring Semester. Throughout the semester, use will be analyzed to determine whether Saturday hours need to be expanded on a permanent basis. For information about hours over breaks and at other University of Miami Libraries, please see www.library.miami.edu

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus, and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters, or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 through 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more, as that is something that can be worked with. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories that are printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year, and an e-mail address.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...