Mydoom worm infects UM Exchange

Thousands of Internet mail servers, including the University’s Exchange system, fell victim in late January to a fast-working, multi-threat computer virus designed to clog emailboxes, make PCs accessible to web-based evildoers and ultimately shutdown Microsoft’s website.

The Novarg or Mydoom worm, discovered Jan. 26, may be the reason why some users of Exchange or other systems experienced PC operating problems or inboxes overflowing with reply emails from unknown addresses.

“The most common method of contracting the virus is downloading an email attachment. This particular virus sent out different emails with varying subject lines and file extensions, so it was difficult to identify,” said Ismael Pimienta, network specialist for Information Technology.

A download by only one user of a system can make all users susceptible to “spoofed-sender emails”: reply messages from unknown users that jam inboxes. However, only those users who actually download the infected file make their computer susceptible to outside threats.

“Once your system is infected, it opens a port that allows others to come into your PC and modify files. And once that door is opened, they can do whatever they want,” Pimienta said.

It was discovered that the eventual goal of the new virus was to configure infected PCs to simultaneously attack Microsoft’s website on Feb. 1, in hopes that flooding the site with information would cause it to shutdown, at least temporarily.

Microsoft is offering $250,000 through their Antivirus Rewards Program to anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for launching the Mydoom worm.

Due to the fast-spreading nature of this worm and others like it, Telecommunications often disables the accounts of infected students in an effort to halt further infection.

“Students that are having problems or discover their account isn’t working can bring in their PC for us to fix, or come pick up a disk with programs that will get rid of the virus,” said Jade Bautista, Network Specialist for Telecommunications.

Popular antivirus programs like Norton have updated definitions to include protection against the Mydoom worm. However, new viruses infect large systems like Exchange on a regular basis, so caution when downloading is advised.

“Unfortunately, it really relies a lot on users and their practices. Just one person could start a chain of events that is very difficult to stop,” Pimienta said.

Students who believe that their computer may be infected can call Telecommunications at 305-284-6565 with questions.

Samantha Riepe can be contacted by uninfected users at sriepe@miami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...