LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Re: If the battle’s not over, why has feminism died?, 1/27

To the Editor:
I loved Horacio Sierra’s article in The Hurricane and I’m not even a UM student. I have applied to UM, and I read the paper to get an idea of what the student body is like. Your editorial assuaged my fears that all UM students are superficial and think Cosmopolitan, the example you chose, is more important than a textbook.

Gabriela Auon, Omaha, Nebraska

To the Editor:
Horacio, you’re absolutely correct. Our generation of women takes everything for granted and many don’t realize that inequalities between men and women still exist. A large part of the problem is as you said – women think that it’s a choice between standing up for women’s rights or being feminine and sexy, a choice between beauty and brains. For some I think they are simply scared of the consequences of speaking up, even if the consequences are unjust. Your column was also intriguing to me because I recently read a column in the New York Times on the exact same topic.

Jessica Hall

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...