JAY WEISS 1927 – 2004

UM Board of Trustees member Jay Weiss died in his sleep last weekend from complications with lung cancer. Weiss, a co-founder of Southern Wine & Spirits, was a prominent fundraiser and donor for UM, raising more than $150 million. He has been credited with helping build the Ryder Trauma Center through his fundraising efforts. He also is said to have put over 50 children through college. This generosity comes as no surprise to those who knew him.
President Shalala described Weiss as a “man so generous that those who have benefited from his personal gifts and advice could fill the Orange Bowl a hundred times.”
She went on to say that Weiss “leaves a hole so deep it will take all of us a lifetime to fulfill his dreams of educational opportunity and good health for everyone in our community.”

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...