Jackson’s indecency unfitting for sports

Tom Brady wasn’t the real MVP of Super Bowl XXXVIII this past Sunday. No, that distinction would belong to Janet Jackson. Or, more specifically, to her right breast.

Just leave it to the conservative media at MTV, in charge of sister network CBS’ halftime show for yet another year without reason, to find some way to stick a boob on television in front of a world-wide audience. Justin Timberlake, who had the honor of tearing off Jackson’s clothing in front of an estimated 100 million viewers worldwide, was supposed to be the surprise performer of the halftime event. It turns out he was just unveiling it.

“It was not intentional and is regrettable,” Timberlake said after the Super Bowl, labeling the incident as a “wardrobe malfunction.” Which, as far as I can tell, means he was also supposed to expose the spur-shaped metallic pastie covering Jackson’s nipple.

An MTV-issued statement said it was “unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional and was inconsistent with assurances we had about the content of the performance.”

The lesson to be learned? No more cross-promotion in sports.

Think about it. Michael Jordan and baseball, the NBA/WNBA two-ball challenge replacing the Dunk Contest, Shaquille O’Neal and Kazaam. These events all foreshadowed Sunday’s collapse, and Viacom, which owns CBS and MTV, should be taught a lesson for allowing its children to procreate. Mixing music and entertainment with sports is a bad recipe.

Now, for the five of you still reading this article, you may be wondering, “Why don’t you offer some solutions?”

Now, for the two of you still reading this article, you may be wondering, “Should I stop reading this article?”

So here are some solutions. First, it’s the Super Bowl. You can get more relevant performers than Janet Jackson or Aerosmith.

Second, it’s the Super Bowl. You are allowed get more masculine performers than a former member of the Mickey Mouse Club. In fact, who says there even needs to be a musical performance?

Instead, let’s hope that the Super Bowl XXXIX halftime show features what we all have been waiting for come next year: Bikini Bowl II.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...