Culture

Celebrating union of life and music: Marleys take over Bayfront

The legendary Bob Marley’s family along with R&B co-headliner India Arie will be heating up Miami this weekend with the 11th annual Bob Marley Festival, “Songs of Freedom” Tour on Saturday, Feb. 7, 2004. Taking place at Bayfront Park Amphitheater at 3:00 p.m., the concert is a celebration of the late Bob Marley, commemorating his revolutionary artistic abilities and all the amazing contributions he has made to reggae music. Aside from the beautiful India Arie, famous for her breakout hit “Video,” Stephen, Damien and Julian Marley, Steel Pulse, Capleton, Culture, Johnny Dread, Soldiers of Jah Army and Mr. Cheeks of the Lost Boyz are scheduled to appear. The cost of attendance is $28.00 and children under the age of 12 get in free, with one stipulation – bring 4 canned goods that will be donated to feed the hungry in South Florida and the Caribbean. The food collecting efforts have not gone unnoticed; over the past ten yeas, more than one million cans of food have been collected, continuing in the service of late legend Bob Marley. Past performers have included Lauryn Hill, Foxy Brown, DMX and Erykah Badu, along with many others. The show will take place rain or shine and tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster or by calling Bayfront Park at 305-358-7556. For more information, go to www.bobmarleymovement.com. So travel downtown to enjoy the celebration of music and of life.

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2 @umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...