Celebrating union of life and music: Marleys take over Bayfront

The legendary Bob Marley’s family along with R&B co-headliner India Arie will be heating up Miami this weekend with the 11th annual Bob Marley Festival, “Songs of Freedom” Tour on Saturday, Feb. 7, 2004. Taking place at Bayfront Park Amphitheater at 3:00 p.m., the concert is a celebration of the late Bob Marley, commemorating his revolutionary artistic abilities and all the amazing contributions he has made to reggae music. Aside from the beautiful India Arie, famous for her breakout hit “Video,” Stephen, Damien and Julian Marley, Steel Pulse, Capleton, Culture, Johnny Dread, Soldiers of Jah Army and Mr. Cheeks of the Lost Boyz are scheduled to appear. The cost of attendance is $28.00 and children under the age of 12 get in free, with one stipulation – bring 4 canned goods that will be donated to feed the hungry in South Florida and the Caribbean. The food collecting efforts have not gone unnoticed; over the past ten yeas, more than one million cans of food have been collected, continuing in the service of late legend Bob Marley. Past performers have included Lauryn Hill, Foxy Brown, DMX and Erykah Badu, along with many others. The show will take place rain or shine and tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster or by calling Bayfront Park at 305-358-7556. For more information, go to www.bobmarleymovement.com. So travel downtown to enjoy the celebration of music and of life.

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2 @umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...