NEWS BRIEFS

UM medicine professor named a Local Legend

Marilyn Glassberg Csete, M.D., assistant professor of medicine at the UM School of Medicine, has been selected as a Local Legends award winner for the state of Florida. She is being honored for her commitment and innovation in her chosen field of specialty, pulmonology, and for her contribution to the positive image of women in medicine. All of the Local Legends winners from across the country will be featured in an exhibition called “Changing the Face of Medicine: Celebrating America’s Women Physicians” and on a website dedicated to the project. The winners will also be honored next month during the American Medical Women’s Association’s annual meeting in San Diego.

Hispanic Heritage Month seeking board members

Interested in being involved with Hispanic Heritage Month 2004? Advisor Ms. Nanette Vega, Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Affairs [MSA], is currently accepting applications for the executive board. For more information, please contact MSA at 305-284-2855 or at nvega@miami.edu.

Outstanding seniors sought to be featured in yearbook

The Ibis is still looking for candidates for “Senior Spotlight” features on outstanding seniors in the 2004 yearbook. In order to nominate or apply, pass by the Ibis office, UC 229, and pick up a form. Forms are due in the office by Feb. 13.

Intramurals are back

Start getting your team together for another exciting round of intramural sports. Entries are now being accepted at the Wellness Center for basketball, arena football, flag football, and kickball. If you don’t have a team, then sign up on the free agent roster. To find out more about the intramural program, call Jason Carroll at 305-284-8518.

Wellness classes open

Registration is now open for spring instructional classes at the Wellness Center. Classes are open to both members and non-members. Instruction varies from dance classes to martial arts. You must register in person. For more information, call the Wellness Center at 305-284-5433.

Library hours extended

In response to requests from students and faculty, the Richter Library will stay open until 10 p.m. on Saturdays during the spring semester. Use will be analyzed to determine whether Saturday hours should be expanded permanently. For more information, please see www.library.miami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...