High school students spend a day in the life of a ‘Cane

High school students accompanying UM students was a common sight around campus this week as Hurricane for a Day, a new program implemented by Student Government [SG], began on Monday.

Students accepted to UM Early Decision were invited to shadow a student leader for a day to experience the life of a UM student.

The program was inspired by an idea from the SG Executive Board, who wanted to use the program as a strong recruiting tool. Initially, the idea was to invite top prospective students who had not yet decided where they wanted to go to school. It was eventually decided that Early Decision applicants [who had already decided to come to UM]would be the group invited to participate.

The effort was spearheaded by Billy Bludgus, chief of staff external SG. “I was confident that if we showed these students what we’re about, they would choose UM,” Bludgus said.

Program organizers also mentioned that in order for UM to move into the top tier of universities, top students must be attracted.

“Our University always talks about how we are improving over other universities,” Scott Sadowski, SG president, said. “I feel that this program is a prime example of us going the extra mile to help students experience Miami.”

The list of students accepted Early Decision was provided by the Office of Admissions. Student Government then sent letters to the students, inviting them to come to campus this week. Overall, 234 students were invited and approximately 60 are participating. Of these 60 students, about 25 percent are from out of town. Some students even flew in to be a part of the program.

Students spent one day on campus, with hosts meeting them in the morning, taking them to class, lunch and maybe a few meetings in between. Special overnight accommodations have been made for students flying in from out of town. Student leaders, mainly from the different parts of SG, volunteered to act as hosts.

“The response from students willing to act as hosts has been overwhelming,” Bludgus said. “The participants really enjoyed their visit due to the efforts on the part of the student hosts.”

At the end of the week, the SG Executive Board will gather feedback and determine whether the program is feasible financially and logistically. The next goal is to invite prospective students who have applied Early Action and are not bound to matriculating at UM. This program could be implemented as early as later this semester.

Minal Ahson can be contacted at m.ahson@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...