Hamilton provides rebounding and defense

Gary Hamilton has an important job on the men’s basketball team. His role is to play defense and get rebounds, two areas where the team is hurting for production.

To his credit, Hamilton has tried to fill that role, averaging 4.4 rebounds per game in about 17 minutes of action. However, his numbers have not risen from last season like he would have hoped, and the ‘Canes are still struggling in these areas.

“Coming into the season, I just wanted to play my role, which was to grab rebounds and play defense,” Hamilton said. “I hoped my numbers would be bigger than they were last year, but it hasn’t happened so far.”

Hamilton, a sophomore who comes off the bench for the ‘Canes, gives them depth inside and has potential to be a key contributor. His offensive game has not shown much yet, but his role on this team has not primarily been to score.

“We really need his rebounding numbers to go up because we have enough scorers on this team,” Head Coach Perry Clark said. “Certainly, it will help him if he can make open shots, but we are small on the perimeter so we need him to rebound.”

As a freshman, Hamilton picked up the slack for the injured Will Frisby with his aggressive rebounding and defense. The ‘Canes struggled as a team, but Hamilton showed promise for the future.

“Coming in, Gary was a real pleasant surprise last year because he gave us a lot defensively and rebounding the basketball,” Clark said. “He has worked on his offensive game and on getting better offensively and as he continues to work on his body and get stronger, he can give us a really good low post presence. When he is at his best, he can play low post defense better than anyone in the league.”

Hamilton really picked up confidence in his basketball abilities in tenth grade, and since then, he has worked hard to get himself into a position to succeed in the sport in the future. He comes from a basketball family, with three younger brothers, an older brother, and an older sister. His three younger brothers all play basketball.

“My three younger brothers all play, and they try to compete with me and tell me that they are so much better than me,” Hamilton said.

Off the court, Hamilton is polite and thoughtful, but very quiet until he gets to know someone. On the court, he is a complete opposite.

“I try to play mean and aggressive basketball on the court,” Hamilton said. “My dad always tried to push me to work hard to keep getting better.”

The improvement of Hamilton would be a huge boost to the ‘Canes defense and rebounding. As of today, the ‘Canes are 13-8 and are trying to keep their chances at the NCAA Tournament alive. Rebounding and defense are key ingredients to getting there.

“We can still make the NCAA Tournament if we play hard and win these next couple of games,” Hamilton said. “We just need to play better, and if we can do that and eliminate mistakes, we will take care of business.”

Darren Grossman can be contacted at d.grossman@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...