Sports Briefs

The University of Miami women’s track and field team fell one spot to No. 14 in the latest Trackwire 25 rankings released Tuesday.
The Hurricanes have four individuals and one relay ranked in their respective events by Trackwire. Junior All-American Lauryn Williams ranks third in the nation in the 60-meters while sophomore All-American Charlette Greggs ranks ninth in the 400-meters.
Miami has two freshmen jumpers ranked by Trackwire including triple jumper Tabia Charles who is ranked third, and long jumper Brenda Faluade who is ranked 11th.
In addition, the UM 4×400-meter relay is ranked fourth in the nation according to Trackwire.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...