Spirits, appetites high at basketball pep rally

Prior to Wednesday night’s women’s basketball game at the Convocation Center, all UM students in attendance were invited to a tailgate inside the Hurricane 100 room where free food and drinks were available. The tailgate, sponsored by Hurricane Force, looked to boost student attendance at women’s basketball games, which has been lacking this season despite the teams’ best start in school history.

“Our students haven’t found this place [the Convocation Center]yet,” President Donna E. Shalala explained. “Once they find the place and see how much fun it can be when they are all here, the students will come.”

The Hurricane 100 room, located beneath the student section and usually used for commencement ceremonies or by donors and trustees for meetings, took on a more spirited role in accommodating not only students but also cheerleaders, Sebastian the Ibis and even Hurricane Frank.

Head coach Fern Labati was also a part of the festivities, giving students an enthusiastic pep talk about their role in supporting the team.

“I want you to know it’s not about the game tonight – it is about the future of what we can achieve here for the Miami Hurricanes. We need your support in the stands,” she said.

The tailgate produced, by far, the largest student turnout at a women’s basketball game this season and may have served its purpose in trying to drive students to attend future games.

Tom Falconer, who has attended several men’s games but had not attended a women’s game before Wednesday night, said the tailgate was a success and helped him become aware that the team is among the best in the nation.

“I know I’m jumping on the bandwagon, but I’ll start attending games now,” he said.

Others felt the tailgate was just a starting point and it would be interesting to see if the attendance could be kept up.

“This is a good starting point, but it’s just a starting point and you have to figure out where you go from here,” Kim Walker said.

Shalala also invited former ticket-holders of the now extinct Miami Sol to the tailgate in order to make the event even more pronounced. She also made it very clear why the Convocation Center was built.

“We built the Convocation Center on campus for the students. The Convocation Center belongs to the students, and tonight we will make that very clear,” Shalala said.

Paul Fajardo can be contacted at p.fajardo@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...