DEPARTMENT OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES BLOWOUT!

Earlier this week, The Hurricane reported that the Department of International Studies had been officially terminated, less than two years after the closure of the School of International Studies. Details have now surfaced at various informative meetings throughout the week, both appeasing and infuriating students.

Dr. James Wyche, vice provost and dean of the College of Arts & Sciences [A&S], made the final decision with the support of President Shalala.

“The only thing that is final is that I can no longer support the Department of International Studies,” Wyche said.

Word of the closure spread to international studies [INS] majors essentially through word of mouth and student emails – only three students were officially notified by administration of the closure.

Adele Bagley, Sebastian Gonzalez and Andrea Echavarria were called in to speak with INS administration.

“They told us it’s a ‘substandard’ program. . . it was ‘unthinkable’ how much money it would take to make this a viable program,” Bagley said.

Currently there is no listserv to contact all of the INS majors, but flyers and emails through an improvised list were distributed announcing the decision.

An informal meeting outside the Ferr

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...