Men’s tennis begins season with victory over Southern Methodist

In a close match the men’s tennis team held off the No. 38 Southern Methodist Mustangs 4-3 to open its season with a victory.

In first doubles action, Colin Purcell and Tim Krebs defeated Gwinyai Chingoka and Paul McNaughton of SMU by a score of 8-6. It was a closely contested match, but the Hurricanes were able to pull away thanks to their advantage in power.

Krebs played well with Purcell, but after the match the sophomore admitted that he prefers singles competition.

“I like singles better because I don’t have to share the ball,” Krebs said jokingly. “It’s all me; I get all the credit whether I win or lose.”

Krebs did get to enjoy some individual glory when he defeated Peter Oredesson 6-4, 6-2.

Krebs’ victory was one of the few easy wins of the afternoon for the ‘Canes. In other singles action, freshman Josh Cohen defeated Gwinyai Chingoka 6-0, 6-0 in his first match as a Hurricane.

Cohen overcame some early nerves and was pleased with his overall performance after the match.

“I played almost excellent,” Cohen said. “I was nervous but not excessively nervous because that would be bad for my game. I always expect to win because otherwise there is no reason to play.”

The second singles match lasted three sets, as Eric Hechtman defeated Paul McNaughton 6-7, 6-2, 6-2. Hechtman overcame back problems during the match, and the Hurricanes were not even sure he would be able to compete against the Mustangs.

“Eric Hechtman played unbelievably,” Assistant Coach Ari Widlansky said. “Even with his injury he still worked hard and came out with a win.”

The other doubles victory for the ‘Canes featured Cohen and Jeremiah Fuller topping Aliaksandr Skrypko and Federico Murgier 8-6. It marked the first time Cohen and Fuller played together.

The Hurricanes suffered one of their three losses in second doubles, as John Hoyes II and P.J. Passalacqua were defeated by Henrik Soderberg and Oredesson by a score of 8-1. Passalacqua is new to the Hurricanes as well, and he came up short in his first doubles match.

No. 3 singles Hoyes II lost to Soderberg in three sets 6-4, 4-6, 2-6. Towards the end of the match Soderberg gained some consistency, making some difficult shots in closing out the match.

No. 4 singles Purcell lost to Skrypko 6-1, 6-3. Purcell did not play as well as he did in doubles with Krebs, with fatigue being a possible factor in his performance.

No. 6 singles Fuller lost to Murgier by a score of 6-4, 2-6, 6-1. It was one of the better matches on the afternoon.

The Hurricanes return to action on Friday against Florida Atlantic. Widlansky feels that the ‘Canes have a long way to go before they reach their potential.

“These beginning matches are good for conditional training so they can be better mentally and physically. They can definitely expect to do well the rest of the season.”

Whitney Brown can be contacted at awhitneyb423@hotmail.com

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...