Hite matures rapidly as sophomore, leads ‘Canes in scoring

The success of the men’s basketball team this year can be attributed primarily to the emergence of Robert Hite.

Hite, a sophomore guard, leads the team in scoring, averaging 17 points a game. He is also the only Hurricane to score in double figures in every single game this season.

This is a drastic improvement from last season, when Hite, as a freshman, showed some promise, but did not produce nearly as much, averaging just over seven points per game, placing him third on the Hurricanes in scoring. A huge difference in Hite’s game is that he is playing with more confidence and taking advantage of extra practice in the off-season.

“I’m more confident this year with my game,” Hite said. “I worked hard in the off-season to get better, so I didn’t want all that hard work to go to waste.”

Hite averaged over 19 points a game at Winton Woods High School and earned first team All-State honors as well as the 2002 Associated Press Ohio Player of the Year Award. It was in high school that Hite realized that he had a future in basketball.

“When I started on the varsity team in high school as a freshman, I realized I could get into it,” Hite said. “I also ran track which helped with my speed and flexibility.”

Hite’s goal coming into this season was to improve upon last year and help the Hurricanes win games. He has far exceeded his goal already and still has several games left to play.

“My goal was to produce more and help my team. We were missing James Jones so someone had to step up for him, and I have tried to do that,” Hite said.

The success of Hite comes as no surprise to his coach, Perry Clark, who knew that Hite had unlimited potential when he recruited him two years ago from Ohio.

“Robert Hite is capable of having big games,” Clark said. “He works hard and is a good shooter. We brought him here to do these things and it’s great to see him playing well.”

With Hite playing well, and freshman Guillermo Diaz producing, the ‘Canes have three legitimate scoring options, with Darius Rice still being the go-to guy. How the team’s leading scorer next season when Rice graduates. As for this year, Hite will only make Rice’s job easier.

“Hite will help Darius get good looks,” Clark said. “Now we have some other people that can score besides Darius.”

The best part about Hite’s breakout season is that he is only a sophomore, which means he will keep improving. By the time Hite is ready to graduate from the University of Miami, he could be one of the top players in college basketball.

“The strength of my game is that I can shoot and put the ball on the floor, so the defense doesn’t know what to expect,” Hite said. “I’m a hard worker, and I don’t give up easily, so when things get tough, I just work harder and keep going.”

Darren Grossman can be contacted at d.grossman@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...