Department of International Studies Closed

UM executive administration officially closed the Department of International Studies last week.

This move comes after last year’s closing of the School of International Studies and the North-South Center.

International Studies at UM included international relations and an understanding of global developments, as well an appreciation of regional developments in Europe and Latin America.

As early as 1937, UM offered a special undergraduate major in Latin American studies, a pioneering program in the field of international studies.

Following the inauguration of President Edward T. Foote II in 1981, UM developed the Center for Advanced International Studies, the Graduate School of International Studies and the Dante B. Fascell North-South Center.

In 1997, the University’s graduate and undergraduate programs were unified, and the Graduate School of International Studies became the School of International Studies.

In 2002, under President Donna E. Shalala, a further reorganization took place and the School of International Studies became the Department of International Studies within the College of Arts & Sciences.

Students who are concerned about the effects the closing of the department could have on their degrees can attend an informative meeting tonight at 6 p.m. outside of the Ferre Building.

The Hurricane will follow up on this issue as more details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu.