Department of International Studies Closed

UM executive administration officially closed the Department of International Studies last week.

This move comes after last year’s closing of the School of International Studies and the North-South Center.

International Studies at UM included international relations and an understanding of global developments, as well an appreciation of regional developments in Europe and Latin America.

As early as 1937, UM offered a special undergraduate major in Latin American studies, a pioneering program in the field of international studies.

Following the inauguration of President Edward T. Foote II in 1981, UM developed the Center for Advanced International Studies, the Graduate School of International Studies and the Dante B. Fascell North-South Center.

In 1997, the University’s graduate and undergraduate programs were unified, and the Graduate School of International Studies became the School of International Studies.

In 2002, under President Donna E. Shalala, a further reorganization took place and the School of International Studies became the Department of International Studies within the College of Arts & Sciences.

Students who are concerned about the effects the closing of the department could have on their degrees can attend an informative meeting tonight at 6 p.m. outside of the Ferre Building.

The Hurricane will follow up on this issue as more details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...