Department of International Studies Closed

UM executive administration officially closed the Department of International Studies last week.

This move comes after last year’s closing of the School of International Studies and the North-South Center.

International Studies at UM included international relations and an understanding of global developments, as well an appreciation of regional developments in Europe and Latin America.

As early as 1937, UM offered a special undergraduate major in Latin American studies, a pioneering program in the field of international studies.

Following the inauguration of President Edward T. Foote II in 1981, UM developed the Center for Advanced International Studies, the Graduate School of International Studies and the Dante B. Fascell North-South Center.

In 1997, the University’s graduate and undergraduate programs were unified, and the Graduate School of International Studies became the School of International Studies.

In 2002, under President Donna E. Shalala, a further reorganization took place and the School of International Studies became the Department of International Studies within the College of Arts & Sciences.

Students who are concerned about the effects the closing of the department could have on their degrees can attend an informative meeting tonight at 6 p.m. outside of the Ferre Building.

The Hurricane will follow up on this issue as more details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...