UM Ethics Programs join in community initiative

UM Ethics Programs, in a joint effort with the Human Services Coalition, the Knight Foundation and the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, are helping launch the Greater Miami Community Prosperity Initiative.

The coalition released its first publication outlining the project, titled “Building Community Prosperity in Miami-Dade: Civic Engagement, Dialogue, and Action,” in the Chamber of Commerce on Jan. 7.

The goal of the initiative is to raise the living standards of Miami residents. Its launching comes after Miami learned in Fall 2002 that, according to the 2000 U.S. Census, it is the poorest large city in the country.

Recent efforts of the Community Prosperity Initiative have focused on teaching residents about increasing their use of federal benefits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Food Stamps program, and Medicaid. These efforts have brought $62 million in new income – with a multiplying effect that equals a total of $546 million – into the local economy. The initiative also reaches out to local businesses to teach employees about benefits to which they are entitled.

“It’s of no cost to the businesses, and it benefits employees, so it’s a win-win situation, ” Cava said

Visit www.prosperitycampaign.org, or contact Dr. Anita Cava at acava@miami.edu or Dr. Kenneth Goodman at kgoodman@miami.edu.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@umsis.miami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...