Howard Dean visits Design District

Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean visited Miami for a brief fundraiser on Dec. 13 in the city’s Design District. A few UM students joined several hundred Dean supporters for the $50-per-person event to hear the former governor of Vermont speak for nearly 20 minutes.

“I really enjoyed Dean’s speech. He spoke about the issues I’m interested in,” said Ilana Nathan, a junior majoring in history. “I went into the event open-minded, but Dean’s speech and the atmosphere made me really want to vote for Dean.”

Dean’s rote stump speech was peppered with several references to issues specific to South Florida’s role in the 2000 presidential election and the region’s ties with Central America.

Dean criticized President Bush for failing to strengthen ties between the U.S. and Mexican President Vicente Fox Quesada, who was inaugurated roughly a month before Bush was.

“I understand President Fox is not perfect, but he had an opportunity to begin the kind of democratic reforms in Mexico that were necessary, and our president hung him out to dry because he couldn’t deal with the immigration issue,” Dean said.

Dean’s speech in Miami flanked two notable events in Dean’s campaign: former Vice President Al Gore’s endorsement of Dean on Dec. 9 and Dean’s controversial assertion on Dec. 15 that the capture of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein had not made the U.S. any safer.

While the $50 fundraiser featured blues group “The Albert Castiglia Band,” was titled “Red, Whites, & Blues” and included a few snacks and liquor, Dean also held a $1,000-a-person fundraiser at the home of Miami Beach attorney Dan Paul during his swing through South Florida.

The Hurricane will continue to follow up on events related to the 2004 presidential election.

Horacio Sierra can be contacted at h.sierra@umiami.edu.

DEMOCRATIC RUNNERS
*Wesley Clark, four star general
*Howard Dean, former Vermont governor
*John Edwards, N. Carolina senator
*John Kerry, Massachusetts senator
*Dennis Kucinich, Ohio representative
*Joe Lieberman, former Connecticut Senator
*Rev.Al Sharpton

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...