Fourteen years late, Rose’s apology rings hollow

After 14 years of denials, former baseball great Pete Rose has finally come clean about the gambling problem which led to his lifetime ban from major league baseball in August 1989. This was not just any old gambling, but gambling on baseball – specifically on his own team, the Cincinnati Reds. Many sports writers and fans have expressed the opinion that, while gambling on your own team is a very bad thing and he should not be allowed to manage a team, Rose should nonetheless be accepted into the Baseball Hall of Fame, an honor he has heretofore been denied. Much of this stems from a controversial 1991 decision in which the National Baseball Hall of Fame induction committee passed a rule that would deny eligibility to anyone who had been banned from baseball. Pete Rose was not named, but it was generally understood that the ruling was directed toward him.

I couldn’t possibly care less about baseball or any other professional sport, but I still believe that a person should be acknowledged for their accomplishments. During Rose’s 24-year career as a player, he racked up some very impressive statistics. He set the record for career hits in major league baseball (4,256 – a record still unbroken), and ranked number one in games played (3,562), as well as “at bats” (14,053). Clearly this entitles him to induction into the Hall of Fame.

Where I draw the line, however, is at his 14-year refusal to own up to what he did wrong. Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig should use this opportunity to make a strong moral statement and maintain the ban on Pete Rose’s activities in major league baseball, an institution that has already suffered with its fans because of the perception of greed created beginning with the 1994 player’s strike.

In light of the fact that Mr. Rose’s autobiography, My Prison Without Bars, is being released this month, the true motivation for his sudden feelings of contrition has become all too clear.

Unfortunately, it goes even deeper than that. If Pete Rose’s name remains off the ballot for induction into the Hall of Fame for 20 years, he becomes ineligible. Pete Rose retired as an active player in 1986, 18 years ago. Is the release of his book this month a coincidence? Gee, I don’t know.

Scott Wacholtz can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...