ART FESTIVAL REVIEW

January is a big month for art and with last weekend’s festivals, and of course the classic district gallery nights, it was hard to miss the abundance of vibrant colors, the delicious smell of popping Kettle Korn, and of course the crowds of mixed artisans, patrons, young families, hipsters, and art goers alike.

From gallery nights in the Gables to Latin heritage Fridays in Little Havana and even the Lowe Art Museum on campus Miami is teeming with art. January 16 was the kick off day for two very famous and independent art festivals: the Art Deco Festival in infamous SoBe and the Beaux Art Festival on the UM campus.

From the start of the Alton exit of the Venetian Causeway on the way to South Beach art-goers for the Art Deco Festival would have to wait in anticipation for the excitement that Ocean Drive contained for the weekend.

SoBe’s Art Deco Festival revived the scene and added a lil’ edge to this past weekend’s events

Starting at nine in the morning tents and food vendors lined the beach side of Ocean Drive from 5th Street extending as far as the eye could see, including winding down the path next to illustrious spots such as Versace’s house and the Clevelander.

The festival is a massive sensory overload, Caribbean music mixing with techno and metal cheese grater music from a lowly one-man band, dogs incessantly barking, and of course each vendor scrambling to grab your attention as you pass. Pinstripe tents selling fashion, including vintage Dior, modern art, dated records, posters, and pieces that even seem too lost to be seen viewed as “trash to treasure” were all considered gems at the festival. SoBe’s Art Deco Fest revived the scene and added a lil’ edge to this past weekend’s events. Check out the beach next year and get a glimpse of the enchanting magic of SoBe as it used to BE.

Closer to home, UM sponsored Beaux Art Festival took over the lawn surrounding the Lowe and Stanford Drive, engulfing the grass and transforming campus into a bustling indy village of American artists. The Beaux showcased native Floridians and artists across the states, displaying “art” that encompassed all ends of the spectrum that included metal art, Picasso-like paintings, jewelry, purses, candles that burn from natural stone, and delicate and completely realistic orchids made from clay. Famed for its food as well, fruit smoothies, roasted corn, and Thai fried rice could all be enjoyed on a warm curb or inside the gigantic tent that housed an exotic flamenco dancer and her talented guitarist, complete with authentic costume.

Whether a few steps a way or taking the 10-mile trek down traffic packed US-1 to SoBe, Miami’s art festivals were kickin’. If you weren’t able to catch either festival, slaps on the wrist, not just for missing the art, but for missing out on the experience of true Miami culture.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...