Top Five Moments of Fall Semester 2003

1

Berlin’s late heroics swamp former team
For almost three quarters, it appeared that the Hurricanes and the Gators had switched jerseys. Brock Berlin had thrown a pair of costly interceptions and lost a fumble as state-rival Florida jumped out to a 23-point lead in the third quarter.
Berlin, a Florida transfer, responded by finding Kevin Beard for a 26-yard touchdown to cut the ‘Canes’ deficit to 15 points. Beard had a career game with 164 yards receiving. After the defense forced a three and out on the next Gator possession, Frank Gore dove in the end zone for a one-yard touchdown that was set up by a 62-yard reception by Beard. A Ryan Moore touchdown brought the Hurricanes within one point at 33-32 with 11:08 left in the fourth quarter. The ‘Canes got the ball back once again, and Gore scored a 12-yard touchdown with 1:44 left in the game to finish off the remarkable comeback. Gore finished with 127 yards rushing.
Florida had one last chance to make something happen, but freshman quarterback Chris Leak forced a pass that was picked off by Al Marshall, and the Hurricane fans began celebrating a victory that will be remembered forever.

2

Women’s soccer shocks Connecticut
The women’s soccer team pulled off their biggest victory in program history on September 26 by upsetting then No. 10 UConn 3-1 in their Big East opener. The win marked the first time the Hurricanes knocked off the Huskies and a Top Ten opponent. Sophomore Lindsey Yach scored the first two goals of the game and assisted on the third. Britney Butcher tallied the final score after the Huskies’ Jessica Gjertsen scored to make it a one-goal game.
Freshman goalkeeper Alex Alford had one of her finest performances of the season, allowing only one goal out of four chances. The win had improved the ‘Canes to 6-4 overall. The Hurricanes would end up losing to Notre Dame in the Big East Tournament, finishing the season with a 9-9-1 record.

3

Miller wins Cougar Invitational
Junior golfer Tina Miller, one of the most underrated athletes at the University of Miami, fired a 75 on the final day of the Cougar Classic to win her first title of the season. Miller posted a three-round total of 214 (70-69-75) to edge Notre Dame’s Noriko Nakazaki by three strokes. She was the only golfer to finish under par for the tournament.
The win was important for Miller because it improved her national ranking to No. 4 and put the Hurricanes at No. 7 overall. Miller won the Big East title last year and is a favorite to do so once again in 2003-04.

4

Bradley knocks off two Top 20 players at the All-American
Junior tennis player Megan Bradley enjoyed one of her finest performances as a Hurricane on October 10 when she upset two Top 20 players at the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, California. The UCLA transfer was ranked No. 34 at the time.
Bradley defeated No. 19 Dea Sumantri of Washington in the first round of the consolation bracket by a score of 7-5, 6-3. In the second round Bradley stunned No. 5 Chloe Carlotti of Fresno State in straight sets 7-5, 6-2.
Bradley is expected to lead the Hurricanes to the NCAA Tournament this spring.

5

Winslow saves the day against West Virginia
Facing a fourth-and-13 from their own 25-yard line, the Hurricanes needed a miracle to keep their national title hopes alive. Trailing West Virginia 20-19, Brock Berlin threw a high pass over the middle of the field that appeared to be out of the reach of tight end Kellen Winslow. Winslow somehow came up with the catch, however, and the ‘Canes marched down the field to set up a 23-yard Jon Peattie field goal with 11 seconds left to give the Hurricanes a 22-20 victory.
Winslow finished the game with 10 catches for 104 yards in his best effort of the season, and his fourth down catch may go down as the best individual play of 2003.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...