Sixth-Year Seniors: the college experience is different

As a sixth-year senior about to graduate in December, I find myself becoming nostalgic about my time here at the University of Miami. I started UM in the fall of 1997 and have experienced many changes that have taken place here over the years.

As an incoming freshmen majoring in Marketing and living in Pearson I was ready to get the most out of my college experience. Now I live off campus and I’m majoring in Journalism, which is a lot more fun than the Business school and living in the shoeboxes they call dorm rooms. My freshmen year my roommate was so big he practically took up half of the room just being there.

Six years and 140 credits later I’m ready to get out of here and take on the real world. This last semester for me has been great; from going on the Category 5 trip to Tallahassee to watching the Canes beat Florida State in the pouring rain and having pitchers at the Rat, there’s always something going on.

When I started at UM the football team had a losing record, now the Hurricanes have a National Championship and respect across the country. The campus looked a lot different too; the School of Communications wasn’t built yet and the Wellness Center was brand new. Now the campus looks like a giant outdoor Starbucks with those green tables and chairs everywhere.

To those of you still in school I recommend that you enjoy it while you can. Your four years, or in my case six years, will go by fast and the more you accomplish by getting involved on campus the better you will feel at graduation. The University of Miami is a first-class institution that requires its students to get involved in campus life. Looking for jobs and working on resumes is something we all have to do so take the time while you are in school to find out what you like to do and where your strengths and weaknesses are.

I probably learned more outside of the classroom than inside and the life you build for yourself in college helps to determine the type of person you’ll be when you graduate.

I had to learn the hard way about taking education for granted. Some academic and financial problems meant that I had to withdraw from UM and attend F.I.U. for one semester. Being at F.I.U. really made appreciate the quality of education and on campus life that you have here at UM.

Fortunately I was able to be readmitted here to UM and finish my degree here. I would like to personally thank Catherine Long, my professors, and the School of Communication for their help and support. I encourage the rest of the student body to live long, party hard, and represent UM to the fullest. It’s been a fun ride!

Ben Enfield can be contacted at benjamin_enfield@hotmail.com.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...