Sixth-Year Seniors: the college experience is different

As a sixth-year senior about to graduate in December, I find myself becoming nostalgic about my time here at the University of Miami. I started UM in the fall of 1997 and have experienced many changes that have taken place here over the years.

As an incoming freshmen majoring in Marketing and living in Pearson I was ready to get the most out of my college experience. Now I live off campus and I’m majoring in Journalism, which is a lot more fun than the Business school and living in the shoeboxes they call dorm rooms. My freshmen year my roommate was so big he practically took up half of the room just being there.

Six years and 140 credits later I’m ready to get out of here and take on the real world. This last semester for me has been great; from going on the Category 5 trip to Tallahassee to watching the Canes beat Florida State in the pouring rain and having pitchers at the Rat, there’s always something going on.

When I started at UM the football team had a losing record, now the Hurricanes have a National Championship and respect across the country. The campus looked a lot different too; the School of Communications wasn’t built yet and the Wellness Center was brand new. Now the campus looks like a giant outdoor Starbucks with those green tables and chairs everywhere.

To those of you still in school I recommend that you enjoy it while you can. Your four years, or in my case six years, will go by fast and the more you accomplish by getting involved on campus the better you will feel at graduation. The University of Miami is a first-class institution that requires its students to get involved in campus life. Looking for jobs and working on resumes is something we all have to do so take the time while you are in school to find out what you like to do and where your strengths and weaknesses are.

I probably learned more outside of the classroom than inside and the life you build for yourself in college helps to determine the type of person you’ll be when you graduate.

I had to learn the hard way about taking education for granted. Some academic and financial problems meant that I had to withdraw from UM and attend F.I.U. for one semester. Being at F.I.U. really made appreciate the quality of education and on campus life that you have here at UM.

Fortunately I was able to be readmitted here to UM and finish my degree here. I would like to personally thank Catherine Long, my professors, and the School of Communication for their help and support. I encourage the rest of the student body to live long, party hard, and represent UM to the fullest. It’s been a fun ride!

Ben Enfield can be contacted at benjamin_enfield@hotmail.com.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...