Sixth-Year Seniors: the college experience is different

As a sixth-year senior about to graduate in December, I find myself becoming nostalgic about my time here at the University of Miami. I started UM in the fall of 1997 and have experienced many changes that have taken place here over the years.

As an incoming freshmen majoring in Marketing and living in Pearson I was ready to get the most out of my college experience. Now I live off campus and I’m majoring in Journalism, which is a lot more fun than the Business school and living in the shoeboxes they call dorm rooms. My freshmen year my roommate was so big he practically took up half of the room just being there.

Six years and 140 credits later I’m ready to get out of here and take on the real world. This last semester for me has been great; from going on the Category 5 trip to Tallahassee to watching the Canes beat Florida State in the pouring rain and having pitchers at the Rat, there’s always something going on.

When I started at UM the football team had a losing record, now the Hurricanes have a National Championship and respect across the country. The campus looked a lot different too; the School of Communications wasn’t built yet and the Wellness Center was brand new. Now the campus looks like a giant outdoor Starbucks with those green tables and chairs everywhere.

To those of you still in school I recommend that you enjoy it while you can. Your four years, or in my case six years, will go by fast and the more you accomplish by getting involved on campus the better you will feel at graduation. The University of Miami is a first-class institution that requires its students to get involved in campus life. Looking for jobs and working on resumes is something we all have to do so take the time while you are in school to find out what you like to do and where your strengths and weaknesses are.

I probably learned more outside of the classroom than inside and the life you build for yourself in college helps to determine the type of person you’ll be when you graduate.

I had to learn the hard way about taking education for granted. Some academic and financial problems meant that I had to withdraw from UM and attend F.I.U. for one semester. Being at F.I.U. really made appreciate the quality of education and on campus life that you have here at UM.

Fortunately I was able to be readmitted here to UM and finish my degree here. I would like to personally thank Catherine Long, my professors, and the School of Communication for their help and support. I encourage the rest of the student body to live long, party hard, and represent UM to the fullest. It’s been a fun ride!

Ben Enfield can be contacted at benjamin_enfield@hotmail.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...