Letter Three to the Editor: Re: 11/18 article, “Students shop for groceries on campus at the C-Store”

Here’s a riddle for you. What happens when you get a bunch of freaks that know how to read and write? A pain in the neck for ignorant “journalists.” I’m a freshman, and to be truthful, until last Tuesday I never picked up the school newspaper. There are many reasons for this fact. For one thing the newspaper doesn’t contain anything aside from the sports section that interests the general body of this school. Whatever happened to movie and concert reviews? The other reason why I didn’t read it was confirmed on Tuesday when I actually decided to read it. The articles are poorly researched and in some cases are far from the truth, like the C-store article I unfortunately had to respond to on Friday.

Instead of writing about why some people on the paper are upset that they lost their jobs they should have written things that the students of the university actually care about. From the two newspapers that I have read, almost half the articles have offended someone along the way. Whether it’s trashing student government or calling the people at Ticketmaster freaks, they manage to put down someone. Being a pre-law student, I have learned about the constitution and I’m a firm believer of absolute freedom of speech (which is controversial in itself). However, when writing for a school newspaper, I would think you have the paper’s integrity to preserve.

As for the articles, it’s sad when the articles written in the opinion section by non-journalism majors have a higher caliber of writing then the actual writers of the paper. With run-on sentences, major grammatical errors, and articles printed twice under different names, what is the point of having an editor anyway? I’m not claiming to be a journalism expert (I mean I’m just a stupid freshman, majoring in business), but I am pretty sure that it is the editor’s job to check that sort of thing. In my opinion, an editor change may make this newspaper more enjoyable to read and it might also make it better than my high school’s paper.

Justin Diamond

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...