Letter One to the Editor: Re: 11/21 column, “International Solidarity Movement, Supporter of Terrorism, at UM”

I am disgusted with Pete Trombadore’s article in the November 21, 2003 edition of the Miami Hurricane, which stated that OASIS, ISUM, and Amnesty International used funds to directly support terrorism. International Solidarity Movement, the organization that the speakers represented, is in no way supporting terrorist organizations nor is allied with them as Pete stated. ISM is, “working to raise awareness of the struggle for Palestinian freedom and an end to Israeli occupation. (They) utilize nonviolent, direct-action methods of resistance to confront and challenge illegal Israeli occupation forces and policies.”
After talking with Sara Renn, sophomore at the University of Louisville, she assured me that ISM was not connected with terrorist organizations. “My friend attended an ISM program last year. Her job was to visit with Palestinian children and escort them safely.”
ISM supports the UN resolutions that declared tha Palestinians can defend themselves in times of Israeli torture. So, to you, Pete, and anyone else who was swayed by his libel, I would repeat a phrase from the November 21 article “The goal of peace in the Middle East, the nations of Palestine and Israel living side by side in harmony and equality, does not stand commensurate with the messages of mass murder performed by the Israeli army, such as the 90 Palestinian children killed in the first three months of the Infitada.
I believe Pete’s remarks were racist, myopic, and unpatriotic to say the least. His article is a disgrace and embarrassment to our university, a diverse campus with many Muslim students. I am convinced that it is his bigoted words which endorse hate, profiling, and hostility towards peaceful Muslims and Arab-Americans. The total cessation of terrorism needs to be achieved, and that includes Israel’s terrorist tactics as well as suicide bombers.

Tanya Aquino

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...