Hard Boiled Freebies

Life & Art Secretary

Hello everyone. Just in time to ring in the American holiday spirit of materialism, we have some free stuff to give-a-away. We’re trying to decide what was choice-r, the GTA: Vice City box-set we gave away in September or this John Woo five-DVD box-set. Makes you go hmm…

Woo, who gets cult props for directing such Hong Kong silver-bullet ballets of ultra violence like Hard Boiled, The Killer and the A Better Tomorrow series, crossed-over to the US mainstream with the Travolta post-comeback flicks Broken Arrow and Face/Off.

On December 25, Christmas Day, he has a new action flick hitting theatres, Paycheck, starring Miami-by-association’s Ben Affleck and Kill Bill’s luber hot (literally, figuratively, whatevs) Uma Thurman. It looks like Momento-meets-The Bourne Identity-meets-Ronin-meets-Face/Off: Dude loses memory in the future, runs into shady guy(s), foot chases ensue, probably hooks up with hot girl, car chases ensue, explosions, bullets flying – all that.

If you want this five-DVD box-set to become better acquainted with Woo, answer this question. Select runners-up will receive Paycheck T-shirts (again, a great holiday gift for that love of your life).

Of all of Quentin Tarantino’s flicks (in case you missed Kill Bill’s trailer there are four), which one pays uber-respect to Woo’s legendary men-with-guns standoffs?

Send your answers, one per person, to Huntlaed@hotmail.com. Winners will be contacted by an L&A affiliate, so send that one email and wait. If you get bored play Manhunt for the PS2. If you don’t hear back from us by, let’s say 2007, you didn’t win. Cheers.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...