The FTAA may be beneficial to economy here and abroad

Last week saw the rather violent protests over the FTAA summit. I agree that the Free Trade Area of the Americas does indeed have the potential for disastrous consequences not only here but abroad as well, possibly allowing for the overexploitation of foreign labor and resources among many other things. But as it stands, that’s all it is, potential. What the FTAA will entail is as of yet undecided and unknown, and while there is indeed a chance it could be disastrous, there is also a chance it may prove to actually be something beneficial, giving a much needed uplift to the economy both here and abroad.

It is a closed meeting, but every single point there is to be made about the potential dangers of the treaty has already been made. I’m well aware that corporate interests do have a lot of influence over these proceedings, but I don’t believe in this us versus them mentality that keeps painting corporations as monolithic juggernauts bend on global domination. At the end of the day, regardless of how much pressure and maneuvering there may be on behalf of the corporations, it takes at least two sides to sign an agreement, and I tend to give credit to the representatives of South American nations. I don’t believe anyone will sign an agreement that will rape their land and destroy their people, no matter how much power we attribute to the corporations. We’re dealing with agreements that have to be approved by entire nations. In fact, it is because of the amount of dissent currently seen all over South America (which, ironically enough, I don’t see much U.S. press coverage of) that I doubt the FTAA will get passed to begin with.

My disagreement with the protests stems from the fact that protesting is a very powerful tool, but like most large tools, they serve very simple functions. All a protest conveys is a great sense of disapproval and to raise public awareness. Yet the FTAA protesters are not anti-FTAA, they are instead trying to convey a more complex message regarding the various points they want representatives to keep in mind while drafting the agreement. They are using protests in lieu of open hearings as a constant reminder to officials of their points.

If the FTAA existed and even a fraction of the problems the protesters fear was a reality, then yes, by all means I would encourage the protests and the need for change. But as it stands, all they are doing is raising pre-emptive hell, and while they may have valid points, they are lost in blare of protest.

Endre Enyedy can be contacted at endre_enyedy@yahoo.com.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...