NEWS BRIEFS

Miccosukees help fund Presidential debate

The University of Miami has received a gift of more than $1 million from the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida to help defray the costs associated with hosting the 2004 Presidential Debate. The Commission on Presidential Debates recently notified the University of Miami that its Convocation Center on the Coral Gables campus will be the site of the first Presidential debate. The debate will be the first-ever held in the state of Florida.
The University of Miami was recently selected from among 14 formal proposals submitted to the Commission last spring. It is the only university selected from along the eastern seaboard.
The University plans to create seminars, lectures and other programs to support the debate and to involve students, faculty, staff and the community in the experience.
The debate will be broadcast live at 9 p.m. on Sept. 30, 2004.

SART seeks volunteers

The University of Miami needs volunteers to serve on the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART). Warm, empathic and mature faculty, staff and graduate students are needed as advocates for victims of sexual assaults. The SART program is organized under the direction of the Student Counseling Center. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer member of this important team, please call us at 305-284-5511 for more information.

Stop, Drop & Run needs food donations

Stop, Drop and Run is coming to a dorm near you. Going away for winter break and need to get rid of the food in your dorm room? Donation boxes will be set up in each residential college to donate unwanted foodstuff so that it can go to the needy of our community for the holidays. Help LINK feed the community!

‘Ibis’ wants writers

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus and even things off campus like summer blockbusters or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it’s not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250 to 300 words, but it is also okay if the articles are more. There are plenty of assignments that need to be covered, and stories printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year – why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year and an e-mail address.

Gift-givers needed for Holiday Hope Tree

The Butler Volunteer Services Center is celebrating all the holidays by giving you a chance to buy a disadvantaged child a gift. Holiday Hope Tree information can be picked up at the University Center Information Desk.

UM is Up Till Dawn to help St. Jude’s hospital

Up Till Dawn is looking for people who are willing to help raise money for a great cause. St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital is a non-profit organization that treats children with life-threatening illnesses at no cost to the family. They also do research to find cures for these illnesses. If they find a cure or breakthrough, they share it nation-wide free of cost. St. Jude’s is a hospital dedicated to making sure no child is unable to receive treatment. If you or your organization want to help in this effort to raise money for the hospital, contact VSC at 284-GIVE.