Culture

L&A QUALITY SMACK REHAB

Life & Art Editor

THE FOLLOW-UP

So, yeah, the last newspaper of the semester hits newsstands and the Web on December 5. Look for t-h-e follow-up then, when “solid” answers will have developed. As readers of this publication, it is my belief (and perhaps L&A’s only) that you deserve to know what is going on. Thank you for the support (even if you disagree – all that is needed here is more communication). It all goes onto an equal and open field for the better.

AWAITING THE FOLLOW-UP

So, yeah, umm…now what? Do I diss the ever-caught-in-a-trap-of-odd-smugness Mike Myers for making The Cat in the Hat?

HEAVENQUEST DSV

So, yeah…word, Jonathan Brandis is dead-at-27. During times like this I wonder why in the hell I wasted a handful of hours watching “SeaQuest DSV” instead of learning a second language. And, The Neverending Story 2 – well, remember when hearing the title did a number on you? Try being in that thing. RIP dude.

RICH GIRL

So, yeah, g-r-e-a-t, Ally Hilfiger was at Revolver recently. So, yeah, like, yeah, like, yeah, like…

EAVESDROPPING & “GIRLS ON FILM”

So, yeah, this is when you eavesdrop on the young girls and boys at UM saying stuff like, “I can’t believe Christmas is so close because it is so warm.” (Douse in enthusiasm, a little laughter, and follow with sips from Cokes at the food court.)

But, really, it can be quite strange, like driving past trick-or-treaters in 80* weather. Ben Minkus’ opinion column (and coinciding photo) better explained this realization in the last issue – a well-written dose of optimism within a documentation of badness and frustration – thanks for the sanity man.

If you need a little rehab during finals, when those up-stairs-down-stairs dorm flings get snuffed out, when the ‘rents’ aren’t sending pre-flight cash (bastards): Duran Duran (seriously) is the answer. Download “To the Shore” or go cop their first album, it looks like (see image) and will put snowflakes on your palm trees and then melt them away in sunny South Beach full-on glee.

ANTE-ING UP

Ante-ing up.

Hunter Stephenson can be reached at Huntlaed@hotmail.com.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...