Get Out the Vote continues to raise awareness and registrations

Last week Get Out the Vote held a campus-wide voter registration campaign in the residence halls. According to Courtney Whitney, director of events for Get Out the Vote, the residence halls campaign had a strong turnout.

“We want to get the student body to have a bigger say in local politics,” Whitney said. “If we can get a lot of people to vote, then we will have a big voice.”

On Friday, representatives of Get Out the Vote spoke with officials from the Bush/Cheney 2004 campaign strategizing committee.

“We gave them information about what is going on at our school and how it can help out their campaign,” said Pam Schiess, director of registration for Get Out the Vote, said. “We will have more events next semester, just trying to keep it in everyone’s minds.”

Among the anticipated events for next semester will be registration drives in the classrooms, as well as in the law, graduate and medical schools. Get Out the Vote will also host various events throughout campus.

According to Schiess, there will also be forums hosted by Get Out the Vote, Council for Democracy, College Republicans and the UM Young Democrats to educate students about the presidential candidates and to encourage registration.

Also planned for next semester are registration competitions between various student organizations, fraternities and sororities with cash prizes for the groups that register the most people to vote.

During the blast-off event for the campaign, Council for Democracy received $250 for registering over 70 people.

“We are still stressing the importance of registering and voting in Coral Gables,” Mike Johnston, director of Get Out the Vote, said.

To date, Get Out the Vote have registered over 500 people to vote since their kick off on Nov. 11. They are halfway to their original goal.

For more information on Get Out the Vote, contact VoteUM@miami.edu.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...