Culture

WE ARE NOT THE ENEMY: DO YOU KNOW WHO IS?

Well, well, well…something tells me we’re not liked around here. Livid and malevolent censurers clandestinely waft in the air.

PROTEST is the word of the day, if you please.

And so the negations of the FTAA (Free Trade Area of the Americas, for those oblivious to the hype) have almost expired here in Miami, yes, dichotomous sides battling it out, riot police in the streets downtown, many stores told by law enforcement not to sell any gas masks to anyone “who looks like a protester.”

Since Monday morning, photographer Al Crespo – freelancer for the Associated Press – has been rat racing with the media through the city to find protesters and capture them on camera. Last Saturday, he opened a brief-standing show of prints for sale in a silent auction at a space downtown called Inlife (check the “Eye Filler” on p. 15 to see what else happened there).

Through slicing snapped shots and a revealing lens, Crespo swiftly immobilizes pictures of people in demonstration from 1997 to 2001 and then, with spirited

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...