November is the reason to go to school in Miami

It’s November in Miami, and you know what that means: beautiful weather. Allow me to demonstrate. Put down the paper; I know you want to read my article, but this is worth it. Go outside if you have to. Don’t be lazy.

Outside? Good. Now, take it in with all of your senses and come back to me when you’re done. Do you feel that? The breeze? It doesn’t feel like a blow dryer. Now look up. Crystal-clear blue skies. And you’re not sweating.

Come back inside and grab the nearest phone. Now’s the time to call all of your buddies grinding it out up north at Endless Winter State University.

It’s no secret that Miami is known for its beautiful summers, crowded beaches and gorgeous women. But aren’t there supposed to be parts of New Jersey that are like that, too?

That may be the case, but the true determinant of great weather is how far into the winter (and, for the less fortunate, fall) it takes before board shorts turn into snow pants and headphones into ear muffs. The answer up north varies from mid-September to Thanksgiving time. But the trend stops at Miami, where the reverse holds true.

I’ll be the first to admit the dread of walking across campus midday during the first two months of the school year, attempting to block out the thick humidity, taking the most shaded pathway from class to class, stopping at strategic points to gain access to air conditioning. It’s because of these factors that I look forward to November every year.

It is around this general time frame that the official Hurricane season ends, bringing an end to torrential downpour and the accompanying unnecessarily damp heat. In a matter of days, the temperatures drop, the winds pick up, and, suddenly, paying $33,000 doesn’t seem like such a bad investment. Until you realize you have to go to class.

We’re talking pure, unadulterated, 70-and-80 degree weather for the next two weeks, a feat only Honolulu can match.

Boston? 40. Chicago? 45. New York? 50. California? Fire.

It may be difficult to board that plane come Thanksgiving time. But look on the bright side: December is going to be better.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at Boopalee@aol.com.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...