More Press than Protesters

The number of press photographers and writers surpassed the number of Gap protesters at “Boycott The Gap” event in South Beach on Monday. The protestors, who traveled from San Francisco (which is ironically where The Gap began), are against The Gap for many reasons. Their primary concerns were the use of sweatshops that exploit laborers and the destruction of the environment through clothing production.
Eventually the protesters stripped off their clothes, saying they would rather wear nothing than wear clothes from The Gap.

Facts (from Boycott The Gap pamphlet)

*The Gap gets its cotton from Uzbekistan, where field workers are among the poorest and most exploited laborers.

*Workers in Gap’s sweatshops make as little as 11 cents per hour.

*If interested in more of the reasons behind the boycott, check out the following websites for more information:
www.gapsucks.org
www.behindthelabel.org
www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/sweatshops/gap/index.html.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...