More Press than Protesters

The number of press photographers and writers surpassed the number of Gap protesters at “Boycott The Gap” event in South Beach on Monday. The protestors, who traveled from San Francisco (which is ironically where The Gap began), are against The Gap for many reasons. Their primary concerns were the use of sweatshops that exploit laborers and the destruction of the environment through clothing production.
Eventually the protesters stripped off their clothes, saying they would rather wear nothing than wear clothes from The Gap.

Facts (from Boycott The Gap pamphlet)

*The Gap gets its cotton from Uzbekistan, where field workers are among the poorest and most exploited laborers.

*Workers in Gap’s sweatshops make as little as 11 cents per hour.

*If interested in more of the reasons behind the boycott, check out the following websites for more information:
www.gapsucks.org
www.behindthelabel.org
www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/sweatshops/gap/index.html.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...