HURRICANE HEALTHWATCH: Help available for smokers trying to quit

Dear Hurricane,
I graduate and enter the workforce in May. Unfortunately, I smoke; however, I am considering quitting. I understand smoking is not permitted in workplaces and I am concerned how it will look to my new bosses if I take regular cigarette breaks. I realize community smoking cessation services can be quite costly. A couple years ago I tried quitting cold turkey, but it didn’t work. This time, I’m thinking about getting some help. Are there resources on campus to help students quit?

Sincerely,
Smoky Joe

Dear Smoky Joe,
Smoking is becoming more and more of a hassle for smokers. Fortunately, you are in luck. UM has several smoking cessation options for students. The Wellness Center offers the BeSmokeFree program.
BeSmokeFree is a six-week, seven-session comprehensive smoking cessation program that includes various activities, guest speakers, and complimentary therapies (hypnosis, acupuncture, massage, etc.). If you’re not interested in sitting through a program, free half-hour peer-education sessions with quit kits also are available.
Further, the Wellness Center’s STRIKE team regularly provides outreach with tips on quitting. The Health Center provides nicotine replacement therapy, i.e. patch and gum, as well as prescription medication, and provider counseling sessions. Once thought to be a crutch, research now supports the use of nicotine replacement and prescription therapies. It will make the quitting process much easier for you. My suggestion to you is to combine the services of both departments.
However, if you don’t have the time to seek these services or think you may succeed best by just quitting on your own, the following tips may help. Tips for Smoking Cessation:
1. Select a quit date.
2. Prepare for the quit date by telling everyone you know that you are quitting.
3. As you get closer to the quit date, reduce the number of cigarettes and/or switch brands to a light brand or one with lower nicotine/tar. Begin throwing out smoking paraphernalia such as ashtrays and lighters.
4. Try figuring out what your smoking triggers are and changing your behavior to avoid triggers. For example, if you always light up at a particular stop sign on your way to school, try changing your route.
5. Eat healthy foods, drink plenty of water, exercise and get adequate sleep.
6. If stressed, attend the Counseling Center’s Stress Management class, held every Tuesday at 1 p.m., or consider signing up for yoga classes.
Many people in the process of quitting smoking are concerned about weight gain. The Wellness Center has several programs to help prevent this. My advice is to sign-up for the CHAMP program. The CHAMP program is a free fitness and lifestyle assessment.
A peer educator will review the assessment and make recommendations and referrals based on your results. Follow the CHAMP program with the free ‘Cane Quick Fit Program that sets students on a fitness program in the fitness room. Lastly, consider using our nutritional educational services.
For more information on any of these services, call 305-284-6524.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Pruchniewski

Jennifer Pruchniewski is a senior majoring in marine biology. She works in the Wellness Suite and is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha.

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...