SG UPDATE: Library open 24 hours for finals, resolution supports Business second major for Communication students

This week’s Senate meeting began with the swearing in of Commuter Central Senator Francine Madera, followed by the presentation of Mr. UM James “Kimo” Pascual’s winning talent of a medley of UM spirited songs.
Vacant seats in the Senate were discussed. These seats include the School of Communication Senator, the School of Music Senator, and the Senior Class Senator.
Senate also announced that it has been successful in having the library open 24 hours a day during final exams this fall semester. These hours are effective from Dec. 6-17.
Senators briefly discussed the smoking ban around the entrance to the residential colleges and are in the process of formulating a plan for the implementation of this ban.
A bill was passed during the meeting to modify the SG statues that will improve the efficiency of the Cabinet and will also allow better communication between the Cabinet and the Senate through a series of progress reports.
The Senate passed a resolution giving their support and endorsement to a decision for UM to allow students in the School of Communication to have a second major in the School of Business rather than in the College of Arts and Sciences, effective in the 2004-2005 school year. This will allow students who wish to work with a more business-focused aspect in communications to study precisely what they would like.
The Senate took photos for the new website that will soon be put online so that students can more readily see their representative and so that SG may be more readily accessible to all students.
Additionally, the “Speak Up, Speak Out” campaigns to promote an understanding of SG and reach out to the concerns of the students are being held this week. Look out for signs in the residential colleges or check out SG’s table in the UC Breezeway today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082.
To contact SG, e-mail studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.
Patricia Escuder can be contacted at p.escuder@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...