SG UPDATE: Library open 24 hours for finals, resolution supports Business second major for Communication students

This week’s Senate meeting began with the swearing in of Commuter Central Senator Francine Madera, followed by the presentation of Mr. UM James “Kimo” Pascual’s winning talent of a medley of UM spirited songs.
Vacant seats in the Senate were discussed. These seats include the School of Communication Senator, the School of Music Senator, and the Senior Class Senator.
Senate also announced that it has been successful in having the library open 24 hours a day during final exams this fall semester. These hours are effective from Dec. 6-17.
Senators briefly discussed the smoking ban around the entrance to the residential colleges and are in the process of formulating a plan for the implementation of this ban.
A bill was passed during the meeting to modify the SG statues that will improve the efficiency of the Cabinet and will also allow better communication between the Cabinet and the Senate through a series of progress reports.
The Senate passed a resolution giving their support and endorsement to a decision for UM to allow students in the School of Communication to have a second major in the School of Business rather than in the College of Arts and Sciences, effective in the 2004-2005 school year. This will allow students who wish to work with a more business-focused aspect in communications to study precisely what they would like.
The Senate took photos for the new website that will soon be put online so that students can more readily see their representative and so that SG may be more readily accessible to all students.
Additionally, the “Speak Up, Speak Out” campaigns to promote an understanding of SG and reach out to the concerns of the students are being held this week. Look out for signs in the residential colleges or check out SG’s table in the UC Breezeway today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082.
To contact SG, e-mail studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.
Patricia Escuder can be contacted at p.escuder@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...