SG UPDATE: Library open 24 hours for finals, resolution supports Business second major for Communication students

This week’s Senate meeting began with the swearing in of Commuter Central Senator Francine Madera, followed by the presentation of Mr. UM James “Kimo” Pascual’s winning talent of a medley of UM spirited songs.
Vacant seats in the Senate were discussed. These seats include the School of Communication Senator, the School of Music Senator, and the Senior Class Senator.
Senate also announced that it has been successful in having the library open 24 hours a day during final exams this fall semester. These hours are effective from Dec. 6-17.
Senators briefly discussed the smoking ban around the entrance to the residential colleges and are in the process of formulating a plan for the implementation of this ban.
A bill was passed during the meeting to modify the SG statues that will improve the efficiency of the Cabinet and will also allow better communication between the Cabinet and the Senate through a series of progress reports.
The Senate passed a resolution giving their support and endorsement to a decision for UM to allow students in the School of Communication to have a second major in the School of Business rather than in the College of Arts and Sciences, effective in the 2004-2005 school year. This will allow students who wish to work with a more business-focused aspect in communications to study precisely what they would like.
The Senate took photos for the new website that will soon be put online so that students can more readily see their representative and so that SG may be more readily accessible to all students.
Additionally, the “Speak Up, Speak Out” campaigns to promote an understanding of SG and reach out to the concerns of the students are being held this week. Look out for signs in the residential colleges or check out SG’s table in the UC Breezeway today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082.
To contact SG, e-mail studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.
Patricia Escuder can be contacted at p.escuder@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...