SG UPDATE: Library open 24 hours for finals, resolution supports Business second major for Communication students

This week’s Senate meeting began with the swearing in of Commuter Central Senator Francine Madera, followed by the presentation of Mr. UM James “Kimo” Pascual’s winning talent of a medley of UM spirited songs.
Vacant seats in the Senate were discussed. These seats include the School of Communication Senator, the School of Music Senator, and the Senior Class Senator.
Senate also announced that it has been successful in having the library open 24 hours a day during final exams this fall semester. These hours are effective from Dec. 6-17.
Senators briefly discussed the smoking ban around the entrance to the residential colleges and are in the process of formulating a plan for the implementation of this ban.
A bill was passed during the meeting to modify the SG statues that will improve the efficiency of the Cabinet and will also allow better communication between the Cabinet and the Senate through a series of progress reports.
The Senate passed a resolution giving their support and endorsement to a decision for UM to allow students in the School of Communication to have a second major in the School of Business rather than in the College of Arts and Sciences, effective in the 2004-2005 school year. This will allow students who wish to work with a more business-focused aspect in communications to study precisely what they would like.
The Senate took photos for the new website that will soon be put online so that students can more readily see their representative and so that SG may be more readily accessible to all students.
Additionally, the “Speak Up, Speak Out” campaigns to promote an understanding of SG and reach out to the concerns of the students are being held this week. Look out for signs in the residential colleges or check out SG’s table in the UC Breezeway today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082.
To contact SG, e-mail studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.
Patricia Escuder can be contacted at p.escuder@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...