Quarterbacks unable to put up big numbers

Backup quarterback Derrick Crudup made his first collegiate start Saturday against Syracuse following a less-than-stellar performance by starter Brock Berlin against Tennessee. Crudup went five for 13 and threw one interception into the hands of Syracuse linebacker Rich Scanlon. He also fumbled the ball once, turning it over to the Orangemen. Crudup had 80 yards passing, including one touchdown, and was sacked twice. His touchdown pass was the first six-point score for the Hurricanes since playing Virginia Tech on November 1. Berlin made an abbreviated appearance against the Orangemen and did not complete a pass.

“I felt all right…I wasn’t as comfortable as I wanted to be,” Crudup said. “I don’t care if I had two yards passing, we won the game and that’s all that counts. People can say what they want to say, but we got that W.”

BREAKOUT GAME FOR MOSS

Freshman running back Tyrone Moss took over for Jarrett Payton in the third quarter and had 18 carries for 91 yards and one touchdown. After a Crudup fourth down conversion, Moss took off, scoring with just over eight minutes remaining in the game on a nine-yard run to give the ‘Canes their final lead.

“Getting the ball makes me work hard out there,” Moss said. “I’m really happy because I got the chance to play and I got the job done.”

Few would disagree that Moss was pivotal in the victory.

“Certainly Tyrone Moss came in the second half and really ignited our football team offensively,” Head Coach Larry Coker said.

Payton finished with 61 yards on 14 carries.

COKER EMPHASIZES DISCIPLINE

Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was benched in the beginning of the game because of personal fouls committed in last week’s loss to Tennessee. When he entered the game on the Hurricanes’ third drive, he accounted for a six-yard reception, a four-yard punt return, a punt block and subsequent tackle, and a fumble. Defensive back Sean Taylor was also benched momentarily in the second quarter after a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.

“That was a message,” Coker said. “He was getting out of the process of the game.”

GETTING IT DONE

Ryan Moore had the only touchdown reception of the game for 45 yards late in the first quarter. Maurice Sikes intercepted quarterback R.J. Anderson late in the second quarter, but the Miami offense elected to take a knee, trailing 10-7 at the half. Al Marshall led with nine tackles, while Bryan Pata had the sole sack on Anderson for 11 yards. Still trailing in the fourth quarter, clutch kicker Jon Peattie was able to add a 44-yard field goal for the ‘Canes to tie the game with 12:30 remaining in the contest.

“We don’t need any stats, we don’t need any rhetoric,” said Coker. “We needed a win.”

MISCELLANEOUS

The homecoming game yielded a mere 48,130 spectators…Roscoe Parrish was out of the game with a knee injury, but is expected to return this season…The 1983 National Championship Hurricanes were honored prior to the game in celebration of their 20th anniversary; 40 members of the team were in attendance…Miami is 14-0 on ESPN regional television…The Hurricanes are now 15-7 against the Orangemen since their first meeting in 1960…During the game, Syracuse running back Walter Reyes extended the school’s 1,000-yard season streak to four years…Hurricane middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma has been named a finalist for the Butkus Award…The seniors on the team will be honored as the ‘Canes take on Rutgers Saturday in the Orange Bowl, continuing their quest for the Big East Title and a Bowl Championship Series berth.

Melissa Teich can be reached at melissateich@hotmail.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...