Quarterbacks unable to put up big numbers

Backup quarterback Derrick Crudup made his first collegiate start Saturday against Syracuse following a less-than-stellar performance by starter Brock Berlin against Tennessee. Crudup went five for 13 and threw one interception into the hands of Syracuse linebacker Rich Scanlon. He also fumbled the ball once, turning it over to the Orangemen. Crudup had 80 yards passing, including one touchdown, and was sacked twice. His touchdown pass was the first six-point score for the Hurricanes since playing Virginia Tech on November 1. Berlin made an abbreviated appearance against the Orangemen and did not complete a pass.

“I felt all right…I wasn’t as comfortable as I wanted to be,” Crudup said. “I don’t care if I had two yards passing, we won the game and that’s all that counts. People can say what they want to say, but we got that W.”

BREAKOUT GAME FOR MOSS

Freshman running back Tyrone Moss took over for Jarrett Payton in the third quarter and had 18 carries for 91 yards and one touchdown. After a Crudup fourth down conversion, Moss took off, scoring with just over eight minutes remaining in the game on a nine-yard run to give the ‘Canes their final lead.

“Getting the ball makes me work hard out there,” Moss said. “I’m really happy because I got the chance to play and I got the job done.”

Few would disagree that Moss was pivotal in the victory.

“Certainly Tyrone Moss came in the second half and really ignited our football team offensively,” Head Coach Larry Coker said.

Payton finished with 61 yards on 14 carries.

COKER EMPHASIZES DISCIPLINE

Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was benched in the beginning of the game because of personal fouls committed in last week’s loss to Tennessee. When he entered the game on the Hurricanes’ third drive, he accounted for a six-yard reception, a four-yard punt return, a punt block and subsequent tackle, and a fumble. Defensive back Sean Taylor was also benched momentarily in the second quarter after a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.

“That was a message,” Coker said. “He was getting out of the process of the game.”

GETTING IT DONE

Ryan Moore had the only touchdown reception of the game for 45 yards late in the first quarter. Maurice Sikes intercepted quarterback R.J. Anderson late in the second quarter, but the Miami offense elected to take a knee, trailing 10-7 at the half. Al Marshall led with nine tackles, while Bryan Pata had the sole sack on Anderson for 11 yards. Still trailing in the fourth quarter, clutch kicker Jon Peattie was able to add a 44-yard field goal for the ‘Canes to tie the game with 12:30 remaining in the contest.

“We don’t need any stats, we don’t need any rhetoric,” said Coker. “We needed a win.”

MISCELLANEOUS

The homecoming game yielded a mere 48,130 spectators…Roscoe Parrish was out of the game with a knee injury, but is expected to return this season…The 1983 National Championship Hurricanes were honored prior to the game in celebration of their 20th anniversary; 40 members of the team were in attendance…Miami is 14-0 on ESPN regional television…The Hurricanes are now 15-7 against the Orangemen since their first meeting in 1960…During the game, Syracuse running back Walter Reyes extended the school’s 1,000-yard season streak to four years…Hurricane middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma has been named a finalist for the Butkus Award…The seniors on the team will be honored as the ‘Canes take on Rutgers Saturday in the Orange Bowl, continuing their quest for the Big East Title and a Bowl Championship Series berth.

Melissa Teich can be reached at melissateich@hotmail.com.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...