NEWS BRIEFS

‘Vagina Monologues’ auditioning

If you are a female or live your life as a female and want to take a stand against violence towards women, here is your chance to audition for The Vagina Monologues. The annual benefit performance of The Vagina Monologues is part of the V-Day global movement to stop violence against women and girls. This year UM is honored to be sharing this performance with the campus and surrounding community during the spring semester. Auditions for women will take place on Nov. 23 at 2 p.m. in UC 241. If you are interested, please note that no acting experience is required. They are looking for a diverse group of women who are committed to share their voice for those women around the world whose stories cannot otherwise be heard. If you have any questions, contact Nanette Vega at 305-284-2856 or nvega@miami.edu or Dana Ponsky at 305-284-5646 or dponsky@miami.edu.

‘Ibis” yearbook needs writers

The Ibis yearbook is in need of writers. The theme of the book this year is school spirit, and they want to include as many voices and reactions as possible in the book. The Ibis covers anything and everything that takes place on campus and even things off campus, like summer blockbusters or the World Series. Everyone is encouraged to submit their stories, even if they think it is not something that would be included. The stories are usually 250-300 words, but longer stories are also accepted. Stories printed in the yearbook are considered published work, so it looks great on resumes! The Ibis yearbook wins awards every year, why not be a part of it? All quotes and stories can be sent to ibiswriter@hotmail.com or dropped off at the yearbook office in the UC 229. Include your name, year and an e-mail address.

Holiday Hope Tree seeks donations

The Butler Volunteer Services Center is celebrating all the holidays by giving you a chance to buy a disadvantaged child a gift. Holiday Hope Tree information can be picked up at the University Center Information Desk.
Help wanted for St. Jude’s charity

Up Till Dawn is looking for people who are willing to help raise money for a great cause. St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital is a non-profit organization that treats children with life-threatening illnesses at no cost to the family. They also do research to try and find cures for these illnesses. If they find a cure or breakthrough, they share it nation-wide, free of cost. St. Jude’s is a hospital dedicated to making sure that no child is unable to receive treatment. If you or your organization would like help in this effort to raise money for the hospital, contact VSC at 284-GIVE.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...