Winning or Losing: Where is the fans’ spirit?

I am appalled and disappointed with the students of this institution. At Saturday’s game versus the University of Tennessee, I was shocked that less than 75 percent of the student section at the Orange Bowl was full.

Saturday’s game was the biggest home game of the year and no one showed up. No one ever shows up unless it is versus Florida or Florida State. I was expecting there to be a line to get into the student section before the game, however, to my dismay, the student section didn’t begin to get full until 30 minutes before kickoff.

You give up, at most, six Saturdays a year to watch the best damn college football team in the country and possibly the best college football dynasty ever! There is no school spirit and it makes me sick!

It should not matter whom the football team plays, the student section should be full for every game. I don’t know if students decided not to come because the team lost the previous week, but it shouldn’t matter. This team had spoiled us with 39 straight regular season wins (second longest ever). Until last week most of us didn’t know what it was like to lose a football game. I don’t know about you, but I bleed Orange and Green. When I talk about the University of Miami it is with great pride, whether it is about our athletics or academics.

If we played Florida or Florida State, I guarantee that everyone would have been there at 9am. If you had been late you would have complained that you got bad seats because there are not enough seats for students. I know this because I have witnessed it the past five years.

The bottom line is that those of you that didn’t show up have no justification to ever complain about seating. Actually, don’t show up to any game if you are not going to be there for the team after they lose a game or play any team other than UF or FSU. There will be more room for those who are always there; win or lose; rain or shine; day or night! I am excited to watch the team win their last three games this year; win the Big East for the 4th straight year and blow out whomever they play in the FedEX Orange Bowl on New Years Day!

Greg Tabor is a first year MBA student who graduated from UM in May 2003. He can be reached at g.tabor@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...