HURRICANE HEALTHWATCH: Setting priorities can alleviate college stress

Dear Hurricane,

I never seem to have enough time. While everyone else seems to be enjoying college, all I can do is stress about my next test, my next meeting or when my next paper is due. I know I might have taken on too many responsibilities, but I love all I do on campus. Short of giving up sleep or petitioning for a 36-hour day, what can I do to get everything done and still be able to have fun?

Sincerely,
Too Much Work

Dear Too Much Work,

First of all, drop your back pack, sit down and take a deep breath. Time is an issue for everyone, and one of the greatest challenges in college is to learn to manage your day. Learning some time management skills may help you get all of your work done and still have fun.
Begin by setting priorities. Determine your top priorities, activities and schoolwork [projects, papers or tests] that will receive the most attention. Set priorities using the three Rs – requirement, results and reward. What is required of me? What gives the greatest results? What gives the greatest reward? For instance, maybe your favorite class is biology and you are carrying an A. You can probably focus less on the five-point lab that is due at the same time as your 50-point sociology paper. Other tips are as follows:
Plan your days by using a planner or “to-do” lists.
Organize test dates and study hours.
Break big jobs down into smaller, more manageable tasks:
Remove distractions such as TVs, phones, web surfing, etc.
Avoid procrastinating and reward yourself when you finish a task.
Each day, schedule time to relax and for study breaks.
Watch what you tell yourself. If you change your “Isn’t it awful?” to “I’m going to do the best I can,” you’ll greatly reduce exam anxiety.
Even days that go perfectly can still leave us stressed. Stress is natural, normal and even useful. Although stress can be a positive motivational force, too much of it can drive us nuts. So, back to the beginning of my answer: take a DEEP BREATH. Take two! Physiological studies indicate that if you calm the body, you calm the mind.

Also, take the edge off your stress by practicing the general principles of wellness. Eat light healthy meals, get at least six hours of sleep per night and exercise three times per week. Be sure to schedule time to stop at Starbucks, take a run in the Wellness Center or see a movie. Remember, if you don’t calm down and treat yourself well, you won’t be able to do your best. Study hard, but as Van Wilder says: “Try not to take life too seriously – you might not get out alive.”
Need some help? Every Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the Counseling Center [Building 21-R] there is a stress management class that teaches relaxation, meditation and visualization techniques. Use the class as a break in your busy day, and then take those techniques out on campus with you.
The Counseling Center has a variety of other services that can help you with issues dealing with little things to big things. You can check them out at www.miami.edu/counseling-center.

Sincerely,
Peter Maki

Peter Maki is a psychobiology major, member of C.O.P.E. and president of Sigma Chi.

To submit questions or comments to
Hurricane Health Watch, contact um_newspaper@yahoo.com.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...