REPORT CARD

Offense: D+ Offense: The offensive unit, despite out-gaining Tennessee by 151 yards, was unable to get into the end zone. Not scoring a single touchdown is inexcusable for a Miami football team, especially in a home game.

Quarterback: D Quarterback: Brock Berlin may not have a job next week. The junior signal-caller had decent numbers, going 22 for 35 for 213 yards, but threw a pair of costly interceptions and failed to lead the ‘Canes into the end zone.

Running Back: C Running Back: Jarrett Payton’s 40-yard run in the third quarter saved the running game from being a complete non-factor. Payton gained 91 yards on 15 carries, but Jason Geathers was unable to provide a spark off the bench, rushing for only 13 yards on five carries. Tyrone Moss was not used in the loss.

Wide Receivers: C+ Wide Receivers: Kellen Winslow had yet another solid game, catching seven passes for 88 yards, but had trouble keeping his cool throughout the game. Roscoe Parrish had his best game in weeks, hauling in five passes for 41 yards. Ryan Moore added four receptions for 40 yards. The receiving corps was obviously not the major problem in this game.

Offensive Line: D Offensive Line: The o-line had trouble containing the Volunteers’ pass rush. It is hard to remember when Ken Dorsey was hurried at all during his reign as the ‘Canes signal-caller. Berlin’s second interception was caused by relentless pressure and bad blocking.

Defense: B Defense: The defense proved that they are one of the elite units in the nation, allowing only 170 yards and one touchdown on a drive that was continued by a questionable roughing the kicker penalty. The defense did not force any turnovers, however.

Defensive Line: B- Defensive Line: The line did a decent job, holding the Volunteers to 124 yards passing. There were no forced fumbles, however, and Bryan Pata was the only lineman to record a sack.

Linebackers: B+ Linebackers: It is hard to complain when an opponent only scores once, and the linebackers were certainly not at fault. Jon Vilma had a great game, constantly stuffing the three Volunteer running backs and pressuring Casey Clausen. Darrell McClover was very active, sacking Clausen once and hurrying him on several other occasions.

Secondary: B Secondary: The secondary was solid. Clausen only managed 81 yards passing, however, so the defensive backs were not the problem.

Special Teams: C Special Teams: Jon Peattie converted both of his field goal opportunities, the kickoffs were still sub-par but not as horrendous as last week, and the punting was awful as usual, with two punts averaging 29.5 net yards. Basically, the special teams were bad but not bad enough to cost the Hurricanes the game.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...