Penalties and turnovers haunt ‘Canes

The Hurricanes’ 10-6 loss to Tennessee was frustrating for everyone involved, and several Miami weaknesses were exposed to the nation by the Volunteers.

A recurring theme that must aggravate Head Coach Larry Coker is penalties. Throughout the season, the ‘Canes have committed costly penalties, a problem that hasn’t gone away at any point. In Saturday’s defeat, UM was called for 12 infractions that cost the team a total of 121 yards, while Tennessee was only penalized six times for 60 yards. Several of the ‘Canes’ penalties were especially beneficial for the Volunteers, including a questionable roughing the kicker call that kept UT’s only touchdown drive alive, a Kellen Winslow taunting penalty that cost the Hurricanes 15 yards in field position, and two Vince Wilfork personal fouls that gave the Volunteers first downs.

“It [receiving penalties]destroyed us today as it did last week and it’s something where…we don’t give ourselves a chance to win,” Coker said.

Offensive Woes

The offensive unit out gained Tennessee 321 yards to 170, but the team’s inability to convert in the red zone for a touchdown will be what haunts Hurricane fans for weeks to come. The team was in the red zone three times on Saturday and only managed two field goals. On their final drive late in the fourth quarter, the ‘Canes were flirting with a go-ahead touchdown until Brock Berlin was picked off by Gibril Wilson at the seven yard-line.

The Hurricanes converted eight out of 14 third downs but lost the time of possession battle 32:44 to 27:16. The running game was a non-factor as well, with Jarrett Payton gaining 91 yards on 15 carries, 40 of those yards coming on one run. Jason Geathers was only able to contribute 13 yards on five carries. The Volunteers out rushed the ‘Canes 124-115.

Oddities from the Game

The Hurricanes were held without a touchdown by the Volunteers, the first time an opponent has held UM without a touchdown at home since a 38-3 loss to Florida State on September 22, 1984. The ‘Canes were last kept out of the end zone on October 4, 1997 in a 47-0 loss to FSU. The last time the Hurricanes were held without an offensive touchdown was on November 10, 2001 in an 18-7 win over Boston College.

The loss snapped Miami’s home winning streak at 26 games. The streak dated back to a 28-20 win over West Virginia on October 30, 1999. The Hurricanes’ last home loss was to then second-ranked Penn State, 27-23, on September 18, 1999.

All is not Lost

Despite the furor that the loss has caused, the Hurricanes still have incentive to finish out the season with wins over Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh. The ‘Canes can still win the Big East, with the only undefeated team in the conference being Pittsburgh, and the Hurricanes will get their shot at Larry Fitzgerald and the Panthers. Virginia Tech’s loss to Pitt put the Hokies behind the ‘Canes with two conference losses. West Virginia has only one conference loss, but that was to Miami, so UM would hold the tiebreaker over the Mountaineers.

If the Hurricanes win their last three conference games, they will have a great chance to earn the conference’s BCS bid. The loss to Tennessee does not affect the conference standings.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...