James Pascual wins Mr. UM

James “Kimo” Pascual is the new Mr. UM, beating out eight other contestants during the traditional Homecoming competition held at the Rat. Pascual said he participated on a whim and was still in shock when asked about his feelings after winning.

“I wanted to do something that I’ve never done before,” Pascual said. “This is so unexpected.”

Pascual, a senior majoring in biomedical engineering and sponsored by the Engineering Advisory Board [EAB], won a round-trip ticket to anywhere in the United States.

Pascual recalled the talent portion of the competition, inspired by Saturday Night Live and other comedy shows.

“My talent was a comedy musical skit with a bit of UM flavor,” Pascual said.

“I love giving my time to everyone, and I’m glad that the audience provided me with energy to do well,” Pascual said. “I was very nervous at first [during the talent round], but once I heard laughter in the first few minutes, I went with the crowd.”

“Mr. UM is a spoof on a pageant,” said Jason Starr, junior and member of the Homecoming Executive Committee. “Each organization can send representatives to go through a preliminary round to compete for a spot in the pageant.”

The Miami Hurricane interviewed some of the judges and asked them the qualities they were looking for in a potential Mr. UM.

Patty Swift, assistant director for budget and marketing at the Wellness Center, gave some of the criteria for choosing a winner.

“We were looking for originality, something a little different,” Swift said. “We wanted the whole package – someone relatively attractive with original thinking and talent.”

Erin Moyer, assistant director of admissions, thought the winner should be well-rounded.

“The winner should be pretty much the overall UM guy: spirited, fun, with a good sense of humor, and smart,” Moyer said. “Pascual didn’t take himself too seriously and I appreciated his good heart.”

Tricia Shatley, associate director for residence halls, said that Pascual represented all that the judges were looking for.

“He really drew the crowd to his performance with originality,” Shatley said. The different portions of the contest included talent, formal wear and a question session.

Talents included martial arts display, singing, dancing, magic tricks and a monologue.

Contestants ranged from a freshman to seniors, with representatives from several majors, including pre-pharmacy and architecture.

According to comedian Darren “D.S.” Sanders, who hosted the event, all of the contestants were good enough to have been named Mr. UM.

“We had nine winners,” Sanders said.

Overall, the event drew a positive response.

“It was really fun. I didn’t know what to expect,” Annalisa Cariveau, freshman, said. “There was lots of energy and really good contestants.”

For more information, contact the Homecoming Executive Committee at 305-284-6399.

Fizaa Dosani can be contacted at f.dosani@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...