NEWS BRIEFS

‘Cane Records signs new R&B group Unison
‘Cane Records has just announced the signing of their latest group, Unison. The creative and talented R&B group consists of three Miami natives: UM students Adrian Gordon as well as Leo Bradley and Miguel Ruiz from Miami-Dade College. They will perform Nov. 21 at the Rat at 7 p.m. Their first album should be released in early 2004. For more information, check out www.unisonfan.com and www.canerecords.com.

QuantUM presents murder mystery dinner
Debra Ginsberg, a professional director and actor, is working with UM students on Who Killed The Director? a murder mystery dinner theater show written by Dick Laffin. QuantUM Entertainment, a student-run independent production company producing film and theater for the Coral Gables campus and surrounding community, is producing the play. The organization has over 700 members and is a part of Hurricane Productions.
The central character of the show is Cecil B. DePille, who is casting his next play. Various characters audition including Cecil’s lover and a gangster’s mistress. Cecil’s wife and her lover, DePille’s best friend, secretly look on. Cecil decides on a young woman who needs the job, but the gangster threatens him into casting his mistress. Everyone becomes a suspect when the director is found murdered.
The audience solves the crime by interviewing cast members as they walk among the tables. The actors have permission to take liberties with the script, resulting in a highly improvisational show.
The show runs Nov. 19 through Nov. 23 with all shows at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in the UC Breezeway Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. or by calling 305-284-6399. Tickets are $25 for VIP seating, $20 for adults and $15 for UM students and include a three course Italian dinner.
Contest to award $500 to student organization
UM students, now’s your chance to win $500. Here’s how:
1. Purchase the special ‘U’ football shirt from the UM Bookstore.
2. Wear it to the Tennessee game; get a ticket at the game for wearing it.
3. Turn in the ticket and the receipt of purchase to your organization’s president.
All receipts and tickets must be in no later than Wednesday, Nov. 12 to the Student Government office in a sealed envelope marked with your organization’s name. The student group with the highest number of people who purchase and wear the tee will win a $500 cash prize. The student group with the highest percentage of their group purchasing and wearing the tee will also win a $500 cash prize (20 people total in your group, 15 people purchase the tee = 75%). Finally, 50 randomly selected students wearing their shirt to the game will receive $20 gift certificates to the UM Bookstore, good for merchandise or books.

Program rewards loyal fans of UM basketball
The Hurricane Force program rewards students who show continuous support for the men’s and women’s basketball teams. Sign-ups begin Nov. 5, at the Student Challenge in the Convocation Center. Students who sign up throughout the season will receive a punch card and t-shirt for free, and will be eligible to win prizes such as pizza, bookstore certificates, South Beach hotel accommodations, roundtrip airline tickets, and more! Sign up at the Student Challenge on Nov. 5 for more information.

New Rock Climbing Club seeks members
The newly formed Rock Climbing Club is looking for members. The club meets Tuesdays to train and compete at X-treme, South Florida’s premier rock climbing facility. For information, email Ian at stikifingas@hotmail.com or Kate at kstar18@yahoo.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...