Free speech is not just for speech that you like

The recent controversy over Rush Limbaugh’s comments about Donovan McNabb receiving special consideration by the sports media have highlighted some very important issues. Many have claimed that his comments were “racist,” that he was in effect implying that African-American quarterbacks couldn’t make it without special help. This is not even close to what he said. His comments were that he didn’t believe that McNabb’s performance rated the type of accolades he regularly receives in the press. It was his contention that the sports media is doing this because they want to see a “black quarterback succeed” since McNabb is one of the few African American quarterbacks. While I think he was clearly wrong about McNabb, the shark-like swimming around figurative blood in the water obscures the fact that these same people who are condemning him are also missing the point as to what free speech actually means.
Supporting free speech means that one must support everyone’s right to say what he or she feels even if such speech enrages you and makes your blood vessels explode. The only one who seems to have understood and expressed this was Donovan McNabb himself, who responded to Limbaugh’s comments in true gentlemanly fashion. The same cannot be said of certain Democrat presidential candidates who took advantage of the situation to demand that ESPN fire Limbaugh. If it truly is a “right” to free speech, then Rush should be able to express his opinion, regardless of how wrong it was, without fear of reprisal. If the public and the media as well as anyone else want to voice criticism of what he said, then they should do so, as is their right. Were he in a position to directly affect McNabb’s employment or career path, then Limbaugh’s comments would give one cause to consider his departure from such a position. The reality is, Limbaugh’s comments have produced the exact opposite effect on McNabb, transforming him into a very sympathetic figure.
In the final analysis, if a person can be fired for saying something someone doesn’t like then we really don’t have free speech (the notable exception being that which disrupts the workplace, etc). Additionally, if a white man can’t make a legitimate (although in this case entirely unwarranted) criticism of someone who is not white without always being accused of racism, then we don’t have free speech either. That’s the true injustice.
Scott Wacholtz can be reached at aramis1642@hotmail.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...