Convocation Center swings, misses the beat

Late during spring semester last year, I wrote an article where I addressed the need for the University to book respected and appropriate musical acts to perform at the school’s new convocation center. Certainly, the venue’s success in drawing Coldplay and Ludacris has been encouraging, but progress came to a screaming halt last month when it was announced that the arena’s next concert would feature none other than America’s favorite boy band, Good Charlotte. Good Charlotte? What are we, 13?
I was hoping this wouldn’t happen. The school’s got it all wrong. You see, we don’t like crap. I was hoping they would at least throw a bone to a school with a top-tier music program and a radio station dedicated to indy music. But instead, they chose Good Charlotte. What, did the All-American Rejects already have plans?
The Convocation Center events committee needs to make a serious effort to gauge what the students really want. I’ll give you a hint: it isn’t Neil Goldberg’s cirque, which performed at the Convocation Center on October 18th (The Miami Herald called it “a combination of fantasy circus and Broadway dream,” which basically means it sucked), and it certainly, most definitely, without question is not Good Charlotte.
I know it wasn’t a financial problem, either. Good Charlotte probably cost a pretty penny to perform on campus, and the events committee obviously chose consciously to have them perform. I can think of dozens of acts, including a number of homeless street performers, who would have been better concerts than Good Charlotte.
So why not just ask the kids? I know we wouldn’t arrive at a consensus on an act to perform, but we would certainly overwhelmingly vote ‘Or what’ to the question “Does Good Charlotte rock, or what?”
I’m sick of hearing my best friends at UF and FSU raving about how Incubus and Dave and Outkast came to perform on their campus. I’m sick of them asking who’s played on UM campus recently.
But more than anything, I’m sick of the processed pop crap that is being scheduled at a pristine, $50 million facility. The University of Miami needs to open its eyes and schedule talent that reflects student interest. The time is now for the Convocation Center to find out what the students really want.
Ben Minkus can be contacted at Boopalee@aol.com.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...