REPORT CARD

Offense: Scoring only seven points in a must-win game is inexcusable for a team as good as Miami, and the unit struggled in every offensive aspect of the game, especially passing.
Grade: D

Quarterback: Berlin had his worst game as a Hurricane, throwing two costly interceptions before being pulled for Derrick Crudup in the third quarter. Crudup was able to throw for a touchdown in the fourth quarter and gained 38 yards rushing, but an interception in the end zone hurt his overall performance.
Grade: D+

Running Back: Jarrett Payton had a decent game with 69 yards on 18 carries, but never got into the end zone. None of the running backs were able to break open any big runs for the Hurricanes, and Payton’s pass blocking was suspect.
Grade: C-

Wide Receivers: Ryan Moore was one of the few bright spots for the Hurricanes, catching seven passes for 101 yards. Kellen Winslow had eight receptions but only gained 48 yards. Roscoe Parrish’s fumble led to the Hokies’ first score.
Grade: C

Offensive Line: This was clearly the o-line’s worst performance of the season. Both quarterbacks were pressured more than they had been all year, and Berlin threw both of his interceptions under tremendous pressure.
Grade: D

Defense: The defensive unit did not have a horrible game despite the score. Two of Tech’s touchdowns were defensive, and a third was set up by an interception return. The unit did not have anything to be proud about, however.
Grade: C+

Defensive Line: The d-line was ineffective, as Kevin Jones was able to run up the middle without hesitation, gaining 124 yards on 26 carries. The line was unable to contain Marcus Vick, who ran around the ends for first downs on several occasions. Thomas Carroll’s fumble recovery could have been a big play for the Hurricanes, however.
Grade: C-

Linebackers: Jon Vilma and D.J. Williams had solid games, but neither made any substantial plays for the Hurricanes. Darrell McClover caused Vick’s only fumble and applied constant pressure.
Grade: B-

Secondary: It is hard to complain about the secondary when the Hokies only complete two passes the entire game, but Vick’s touchdown pass was unacceptable and the ‘Canes’ top playmaker, Sean Taylor, was a non-factor.
Grade: B

Special Teams: The fake field goal was a good idea, but it didn’t work out. Brian Monroe shanked several punts, giving the Hokies favorable field position, and a field goal attempt was blocked.
Grade: C-

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...