Hurricanes Help the Hometown sweeps local community

Early Saturday morning, 521 students showed up at school to volunteer for Hurricanes Help the Hometown, an annual volunteer effort during Homecoming in which students go out and give back to the local community.

Students were assigned to one of 27 groups to perform volunteer activities such as cleaning up a park or neighborhood.

Although most students did not mind how they were randomly placed into sites, some students said they felt this process discouraged people from volunteering.

“If somebody has never volunteered before and went to Hurricanes Help the Hometown, they wouldn’t want to volunteer again because they don’t match people with their interests,” said Astin Hayes, sophomore, who was assigned to the Association for Retarded Citizens. “It defeats the purpose of volunteering.”

Other students, however, said that Hurricanes Help the Hometown is the perfect opportunity to introduce people into volunteering here in Miami because it is convenient and brings students together.

“Hurricanes Help the Hometown is a great way for University of Miami students to get involved in the Miami community,” said Aaron Carter, junior and United Homecare Service site leader. “Hopefully what starts as a one-time thing for some people turns into a long term commitment.”

This year’s organizing and planning committee included seniors Paco Castellon, Villamor Asuncion, Shannon Ashfor, Alexa Cottman and Minal Ahson.

Azure Ashby, coordinator for Butler Volunteer Services Center, said that having to schedule the event after Halloween was detrimental to the number of participants. Only 521 students showed up out of the 1,181 students who signed up.

“Aside from the fact that it was after Halloween, the day went really well,” Ashby said.

Ashby attributed the success to the effectiveness of the committee members.

Students who participated in the volunteer effort were excited about going out and making a difference in the community.

“I volunteered hoping to get a deeper appreciation for the community and get a better understanding of my surroundings,” said Joseph Valbrum, sophomore, who volunteered at Deering Estates.

“Providing service for the community brings a certain reward that only the individual giving back can truly appreciate,” said Saran Stewart, junior, who volunteered at Barnacle State Park site. “Hurricanes Help the Hometown unites the students of UM with a common goal in mind- to give back to the community.”

For more information on Hurricanes Help the Hometown or how to get involved, contact the Butler Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE.

Erin Wright can be contacted at e.wright@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...