Good Times and Friends in High Places

Life & Art Associate Editor

There’s something essentially noble about being a mailman, however dreary it may be – especially when you’re writing spitfire rhymes on the side. It’s even more righteous to recognize both the dignity of running the mail and one’s artistic drive.

“I don’t want to make any distinction between me and the common man,” says 27-year-old MC Kenny Jenkins, aka Diverse, who modestly delivered mail whilst attending classes at the local university when he was first coming up, “because I am that common man. I’m blessed with the creative impulse to express what I see, but I see a correlation between all our lives and I do all I can to connect with people on a humanistic level.”

A Chicago native, Diverse is an eloquent upcoming rapper on indie label Chocolate Industries, which has just released his first LP, One A.M., among the obscure throng of the underground rap game. You might not be seeing him on MTV, but his unorthodox rhyme skills could possibly put glit-hop MCs like 50 Cent to shame.

Growing up listening to pioneering groups like A Tribe Called Quest and Del tha Funky Homosapien, Diverse contended in high school battles and freestyles, before attending several universities, but never graduating. Although his mother, who works at Northwestern University, stressed education throughout his life, he needed a break and wanted to cultivate his love of music first, after facing crude realities when he left home in his late teens.

“Where I grew up wasn’t ideal by any means though I didn’t have to dodge bullets or anything,” he explains, “but it really hit me when I was out on my own after I was 18, when I first started working in the mailroom. I wasn’t getting any financial assistance and was perpetually broke, falling back on my bills. I got evicted from my first apartment and it opened my eyes: I didn’t know how harsh it could be when you move out of home.”

In ’94-’95, Diverse was set to pursue music and a mutual friend hooked him up with Seven, founder of Chocolate Industries. Subsequently, he created his first EP, Move, and showcased his skills on the label’s electro/hip hop compilation, Urban Renewal Program. Word spread around about his talents and, thanks to Seven’s connections, he was able to cut tracks with such prominent indie producers as RJD2, Madlib and Prefuse 73 (for whom he contributed lyrics to one song on the latter’s latest album, One Word Extinguisher) for his full-length.

“It’s called One A.M. because I work like a night owl,” he says. “I was working in a basement studio and my most creative hours are between one and five a.m.”

After pausing to reflect on what induces his artistic spirit, he then adds:

“I don’t wanna sound clich

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...