Culture

Does anyone have a flashlight and a beer?

THE DARKNESS
Permission to Land
***

Many heavy metal groups spawned from industrial provinces in England -Black Sabbath and Judas Priest from Birmingham, Def Leppard from Yorkshire and, now, The Darkness from Norfolk. Though while these falsetto singing, cock-rocking performers are wallowing in fame in their homeland, they’ve had limited exposure over here so far, performing at indie fests like Austin’s South by Southwest and the Siren Festival on Coney Island, NY.

Nevertheless, Permission to Land fucking rocks: balls against the wall, pure fist-pumping, head-banging pleasure. Unlike Andrew WK, they shift between partying and sentimentality that harks back to classic ballads like “Bringing on a Heartbreak” or “More Than a Feeling.”

Kicking off with “Black Shuck” – thrusting in adrenaline like any AC/DC album – where the businessmen and priests “forgot to give a fuck,” front man Justin Hawkins then rabidly screams into their first single with another driving guitar line in “Get Your Hands Off My Woman.” The first of their power rock ballads is up next with Hawkins’ crooning, “You’re a part of me now and I only have myself to blame,” in “Growing On Me.”

Running throughout all the songs is the lyrical trait of fitting more words than you could imagine into one breath, bringing to mind another ’80s or ’70s rock band: their second single and newest video is a perfect example of this, “I Believe In a Thing Called Love” where Hawkins’ “heart is in overdrive and you’re behind the steering wheel.” The rest of the album cuts between more ballads like “Love is Only a Feeling” along with the party anthems “Givin’ Up” and “Friday Night.”

As refreshing as Permission to Land is in the present music industry, it’s still nothing new and listening to Def Leppard’s Pyromania, AC/DC’s Back in Black or whatever is your favorite hair band album may be more fulfilling than these displaced partiers.

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...