9Prats enjoying successful freshman golf season

Adjusting to life as a student-athlete can be difficult, but women’s golfer Tiffany Prats has had little trouble balancing her studies and golf.

Prats came to UM from Williston, FL as an All-State First Team selection and an All-Area Player of the Year. College has been a different experience for Prats, however, as she has faced new challenges of maintaining her rigid schedule and being in a classroom setting instead of taking classes online.

“There’s a huge change coming to college,” Prats said. “When I was in high school, I dual enrolled and took online high school classes, so I never had to worry about managing my time.”

Prats high school career was impressive. She was the team captain and MVP as a junior and senior, leading her team to the District Championships in her senior season. As a junior, she captured both the District and Regional titles, earning first team All-State Honors. She finished fourth in the state championships with a score of 68, the lowest total in Williston High School history.

“My freshman year of high school I decided it was time to give up everything and concentrate on golf. That’s when I left high school and practiced seven hours a day,” Prats said.

When Prats wanted to practice golf, she could, and when she wanted to do her schoolwork, she was free to do it on her own schedule. This flexibility allowed her to concentrate on golf.

In her first tournament as a collegiate golfer, Prats’ dedication paid off. She shot three consecutive rounds of 76 to finish tied for 21st, an impressive performance for a true freshman in her first tournament.

“I was a little nervous before that first tournament. The girls on the team said not to worry but I was surprised I did so well,” Prats said.

Her performance in the Cougar Classic assured Prats that she could compete on the collegiate level. She has always been a confident person.

“I am a very cocky and confident person, and I’m very outgoing,” Prats said. “But if you aren’t confident in golf, you will lose because if you don’t think you can beat your opponent, then you won’t be able to do it. You have to be confident in golf in order to succeed.”

Prats is the oldest of three siblings, with one sister, 13-year-old Elizabeth, and a brother, Kyle, who is 11 years old. Her parents have supported her dedication to golf.

Prats’ goal for this season is to be the Big East Freshman of the Year, and for her career, she does not want to be just another face in the crowd. She wants to leave the University of Miami as a winner and have people remember what she accomplished in her collegiate career.

“I want to get wins and I want people to remember me as one of the top collegiate players when I graduate,” Prats said.

While Prats has a long way to go, the future is definitely bright for this talented freshman.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...