SG president gives State of the University address

Scott Sadowski, Student Government [SG] president, gave his State of the University address during the Senate meeting on Wednesday, beginning his speech by addressing a question that he says has been in the back of everybody’s mind: “Scott, last year we won SG of the Year – what could we do to get better?”

Sadowski said that he acknowledges that many areas need improvement and that SG has been successful in most of these adjustments throughout the semester. These improvements have been made both internally and externally.

According to Sadowski, among the internal accomplishments is an increase in enthusiasm and efficiency in SG Cabinet. SG also recently held a retreat that gave SG representatives an opportunity to have fun and develop project ideas in an informal and entertaining setting.

Sadowski said that external projects have been successful, thanks to the help of the Executive Board, and promised that students will be seeing improvements in both student life and academics.

Some of these improvements include:

I Ibis Ride operating on Thursday Nights beginning in the spring

I Introducing a sushi bar in the Hurricane food court

I Working on extended campus shuttle service to include the Flipse building

I Extending Richter Library to 24 hours during final exams

I Working closely with administration in the preliminary designs for a new UC

I Finalizing proposals for a free shuttle from campus to Miami International Airport for holiday breaks

I Renovated seating outside of Stanford Residential College as well as renovations to the Hecht/Stanford Dining Hall

I Bringing the need for renovations to the Cox Science Center to the attention of the Board of Trustees

I Creating a medical school mentoring program that is unmatched by any other university

According to Sadowski, administration has commended SG on their great work.

Particularly, Sadowski mentioned that Mel Tenen, director of auxiliary services, has praised the Dining Services Advisory Board, explaining that students and their feedback have helped to improve Chartwells’ operations.

Sadowski says he hopes that SG will improve just as Chartwells has, with the help and support of the student body.

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions for SG stop by their office in UC 214, call 305-284-3082 or email Scott Sadowski at ssadowski@umiami.edu.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu.