RIAA can sue us all, once they produce good music

It has now been over a month since the Recording Industry Association of America did the unthinkable and filed lawsuits against over 250 Internet file-sharers, including adults, college students, and even a few preteens (take that for downloading the new Good Charlotte album!). The aftermath has been appalling; even private, liberal institutions such as UM are for the first time putting up firewalls on campus in an effort to deter students (and the university itself) from breaking the law.

These measures are extreme but deemed necessary. The RIAA, which represents major music conglomerates like Sony, has pointed out a 14% drop in CD sales annually from 1999 to 2002. Their reasoning is that music downloads are giving potential customers a loophole around ever having to spend money on a CD again.

How convenient.

How convenient that they’ve decided to blame the drop in CD sales on the people who buy the CDs in the first place.

How convenient that they’ve forgotten the product they’re selling, a compact disc which costs pennies to make and nickels to ship, often finds its way to our hands at $17.99 a pop. That’s a lot of laundry money for a college student.

But let’s blame it on the fans. Follow the lead of Lars Ulrich, the disgruntled Metallica drummer who says it’s not Metallica’s fault that their album sales have dropped. It’s the fans. It has nothing to do with the fact that “Load,” “Re-load,” and “S&M (Symphony and Metallica)” were garbage, recycled garbage, and recycled garbage with orchestral accompaniment, respectively.

But don’t worry about Metallica. The recording industry really does care about you, the consumer. They’ve even put together flashy television programming like ABC’s American Idol, a show that gives everybody in America the chance to choose the recording industry’s next unadulterated, star. It’s a good thing Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson aren’t watered-down talent or anything.

This isn’t to say there is no good talent out there. It’s just saying that when there is actually something good out there, we buy it. You don’t see Norah Jones or Outkast complaining about their CD sales being affected, because they aren’t. Even some groups like Dispatch consider the advent of Internet file-sharing a Godsend.

The real problem is that the industry is pushing all the wrong people for all the wrong reasons. Kelly Osbourne? Is she here for any reason other than her last name and cover of a Madonna song? Avril Lavigne? Wasn’t she a Canadian country singer?

So, be careful, RIAA, because you are alienating the very people who allow you to exist in the first place. Next time you blame the fans, why don’t you ask yourselves why they should be rooting for you.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at Boopalee@aol.com.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...